Adapt second stage w/ swivel for standard hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I e-mailed Hollis today asking them about the adapter and/or the longer hose option. We'll see what they say. I am starting to research regs. I am almost convinced my reg will become a backup/stage reg. I am not into buying a $300 second when I can get a decent reg set for $400. This single setup is going to be used primarily for travel so I don't need to replace the Hollis with another Hollis. I'd still like to know that there are other options. Hopefully I'll hear from Hollis or Nick will respond here.
Hollis DC2-212 - Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
$290 for the whole reg, I emailed them and they said the hose can be replaced with a stock miflex one, so any hose should work on this version. I don't know if the internals were redesigned or if there is just an adapter that they use now though.

I saw that deal. That's what makes my decision harder. My dilemma is that I have a DC1/212. I need another 2nd stage regardless of whether or not the swivel issue gets resolved. So do I buy a new 212 for $230 when the DC2/212 can be had for $290? Doesn't make a lot of sense. If I buy the DC2/212 and take the 2nd stage as add it to my DC1, now I have a DC2 doing nothing. To use it, I need a 2nd stage, again being forced to buy a 2nd stage by itself to use the first stages I already own. If the 212s were on sale by themselves, I'd jump on it and be done with it.

To further complicate matters, the HOG D1 is making quite a splash on the boards. For $380, I could get the D1 and two 2nd stages. That would leave my DC1 for a stage/deco bottle way down the line or give me a chance to sell it.

Finally, my Hollis reg is due for a service. So on top of having to buy another 2nd stage and/or buying a new Hollis setup, I will need to pay to have that serviced. If I relegate the Hollis to backup duty, the service can wait.

Well I pulled the plug and bought a HOG D1 with two 2nd stages. I will either sell my DC1/212 or keep it for a stage/deco bottle reg. Considering deco regs run $250-$300, it doesn't make sense to sell my DC1/212 for less, only to buy the deco reg a year or two from now. I'd still like to see a response from Hollis/Oceanic on the swivel. Changing hoses would be a nice option.

I was strongly considering the DC3/212, but the lack of customer service from a new company has me thinking otherwise.

I received a very sincere PM from Nick Hollis recently. It didn't address the hose issue but it was nice to receive a response. I live close to their facility and he invited me down to take a look around. I plan on taking advantage of the invitation once the holidays are over. I am giving him and Hollis the benefit of the doubt and assuming that the holidays and other things (hopefully diving) are to blame for the perceived lack of response. I know most people have lives outside of SB so the response is not always immediate. That being said, Nick has personally posted the phone number to the facility in other posts so the company is at least approachable.

Today I received a response from Hollis. It reads:

The swivel on Hollis 2nd stages has been discontinued; so we do not have
any long hoses or adapters for that model. The new versions have a
standard fitting to allow for more convenience in hose options and you
should have no issues using a Miflex hose with the new models. We do
sell the new version second stage individually part # 240.3621 (212 2nd
only non/swivel). I hope this helps.

This is what we were expecting. Seems like those of us with the swivel are screwed. Oh well. Mine is either being sold on ebay or used as a stage reg.

It is nice that you rec'd a reply from Hollis, too bad that it took them so long - the OP posted on November 1, 2009.

True, but I sent the e-mail to Hollis two weeks ago so their response was two weeks, not two months ago.

Back
Top Bottom