Adderal (An Amphetamine)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alexnewbie

Reaction score
I have been diagnosed with ADD. I am taking Adderal, which is an amphetamine similar to Ritalin.

Is there anything I should be concerned about with diving and this drug?

Can I first say that I am not an authority on attention deficite hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) and I can find no definitive guidelines concerning this condition and scuba diving and no doctor can give you a professional opinion on a website.

So can I just discuss basic principles?

Certain medical conditions are an absolute contra-indication to diving, brittle diabetes and refractory asthma being two that spring to mind. This is because the condition itself could lead to the death of the sufferer during a dive. In addition it could put the diver's buddy at risk in any rescue attempt, or if he needs help you may be unable to provide it because of your condition.

The second and equally important consideration is the effect of medication on your ability to function underwater. High partial pressures do not affect the bioavailability of drugs but do affect the body's response to some of them.

You are clearly unfit to dive if your condition, or its medication, make you a risk to yourself or others.

Amphetamine is a stimulant and therefore affects a divers decision-making processes. There is also a powerful theoretical risk of amphetamine making you more likely to suffer a fit due to the synergistic effects of the drug and the the well-documented effects of high partial pressures of both oxygen and carbon dioxide.

So, Alex, I strongly recommend you consult a local expert in diving medicine and take his advice.

Alex, I had asked a similar question a while back and here's the thread where Scubadoc gave me some things to think about.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=15472

Scubadoc's website is a good source of information. I think it's http://www.scubadoc.com

Make your decision wisely, remember your life and the lives of those who will have to save you if something goes wrong depend on what you decide.
Ber :bunny:

I never cease to be amazed at scubadoc's ready access to all things medical. The linked thread makes interesting reading. Clearly, he is far more au fait with IT than am I!

Ber, your post and associated links have highlighted another aspect of certification.

Certification is like a driving licence, there are no half measures, such as driving on country roads alone. In practice a certified diver is legally entitled to excercise the rights inherent in his level of qualification.

So Alex, while you may indeed be medically fit to dive this does not mean that you may ever satisfy your instructor that you will ever be safe to dive. That's his call and in this litiginous society, and regardless of any doctor's opinion, if your instructor has any doubts, whatsover, about your abilities he has a duty to fail you. :(

I'm very greatful to the people who responded. The thread makes very interesting reading.

I also completely agree that I should not be certified if my instructor has any qualms.

For the record, the ADD is mild, and the dosage of adderal is quite low. I function at a very high level above water and think that I will be able to complete my training. My doctor signed off on SCUBA for me, but I thought I would run the question by people with more SCUBA expertise.

You have given me a lot to think about. Mostly it confirms my initial instinct to be very cautious when attempting anything new under water.

The pool diving is going great. Assuming I get certified, I will just have to take each new challenge slowly (Which is probably pretty good advice for anyone)

Thanks

Hi again Alex,

From your last post I think you have absolutely the right attitude and I am quietly confident that you will be OK.

Don't forget what I posted about getting medical clearance from an expert.

Good luck and have a safe and enjoyable diving career!

Back
Top Bottom