Adjusting weights when changing the type of tanks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well there is obviously a material density difference between steel and aluminum. But the steel tank weighs about 12-13 lbs more. So buoyant force is equal to mass of water displaced. If the tanks are roughly equal dimensions the it largely comes down to weight of the tank.
An aluminium Luxfer AL80 weights 31.38 lbs, a steel Faber HP80 weighs only 28.3 lbs, and actually holds 2.4 cft more air. Meaning the steel tank is actually 3 lbs lighter out of the water. However, since it is more dense, the empty steel is 1.74 lbs negative buoyant while the empty AL80 is 4.1 lbs positive buoyant. So the steel tank is 5.84 lb more negatively buoyant in water.

I have no idea where you got the idea that steel tanks weigh 12-13 lbs more. Were you comparing a steel 120 to an AL80?

An aluminium Luxfer AL80 weights 31.38 lbs, a steel Faber HP80 weighs only 28.3 lbs, and actually holds 2.4 cft more air. Meaning the steel tank is actually 3 lbs lighter out of the water. However, since it is more dense, the empty steel is 1.74 lbs negative buoyant while the empty AL80 is 4.1 lbs positive buoyant. So the steel tank is 5.84 lb more negatively buoyant in water.

I have no idea where you got the idea that steel tanks weigh 12-13 lbs more. Were you comparing a steel 120 to an AL80?
You’ve made the classic mistake of comparing the full capacity of cylinders. It’s the mass and water displacement that determines whether a cylinder is buoyant or not when empty.

I’ve used 12Lt cylinders, all at 232bar, with tare weights ranging from 8kg to 17kg.

You’ve made the classic mistake of comparing the full capacity of cylinders. It’s the mass and water displacement that determines whether a cylinder is buoyant or not when empty.

I’ve used 12Lt cylinders, all at 232bar, with tare weights ranging from 8kg to 17kg.
You have make the classic mistake of not looking at the actual numbers, using water displacement rather than capacity, you are even more wrong:

A 12Lt steel is 32.5 lbs empty, a 12.2Lt aluminum is 41.1 lbs empty. So the steel is 8.6 lbs lighter(again)! However, due to buoyancy difference, that same steel is -1.0 lbs empty, while the aluminium is +1.9 lbs buoyant, making the steel only 2.9 lbs different, again no where near the 12 - 13 lbs you mentioned. If we compare at the same water displacement, the steel is always lighter than the aluminium.

I would love to have some of your 8kg empty 12Lt 232 bar tanks! Where can I get such an awesome thing? Do some 12Lt in Alexandria actually weight twice as much as others?

I would love to have some of your 8kg empty 12Lt 232 bar tanks! Where can I get such an awesome thing?
I don’t think that exists, unfortunately (which is obviously your point). Maybe some carbon fibre monstrosity? However, there are 12x200 tanks at 12.4 kg, which ought to be about neutral at the end of the dive. Sidemount specials.

Thanks for all of the input. I adjusted based on empty buoyancy, which @Jcp2 had me right in the ballpark, and it worked wonderfully! The dive, on the other hand, was not so wonderful. Vis was about 3-4 ft, which would be good for my solo dives, but not with my newly certified wife. Amazingly, she was not clinging to my arm, lol. So we called it early. I would have liked to gotten the tanks down to 500 psi, just to dial it in even better, but next time.

Thanks,

Erik

Back
Top Bottom