Question Advanced gas planning for complex cave dive (upstream/downstream)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So they chose not to, but you want to preemptively make the decision for everyone else who may want to.

“Online cave training”. Nice hyperbole.
Here we go with the semantics.
People should learn this stuff from an instructor in person and not from the internet.
People are using this as substitut for training, that is the point, and you know it. Stop pretending it's not so.

The Darwin Award awaits suitable candidates.
This is such a dumb phrase. People love to talk a good game online. Do you go to people's family in real life after a fatality and tell them, 'oh well, your kid/husband/dad was an idiot'?
No, you don't. You just talk a good game from behind your computer.

Here we go with the semantics.
People should learn this stuff from an instructor in person and not from the internet.
People are using this as substitut for training, that is the point, and you know it. Stop pretending it's not so.
No one’s saying they shouldn’t learn it from an instructor. And no one’s saying they should learn it from the internet.

Having a discussion about how things are done it’s not the same as “online cave training”. Additionally, in person cave training does not guarantee quality.

This is such a dumb phrase. People love to talk a good game online. Do you go to people's family in real life after a fatality and tell them, 'oh well, your kid/husband/dad was an idiot'?
No, you don't. You just talk a good game from behind your computer.
I was next to a guy who didn't come back. Not going into it here, but it was down to the decision he made to dive when he maybe shouldn't have.

I stand by the point: Diving, like an infinite number of other activities, is intrinsically dangerous. Only YOU can decide what's right for you; nobody else is ultimately responsible.

Kind of one of those things we all eventually learn in diving. Sometimes it's better to sit the dive out.

Having a discussion about how things are done it’s not the same as “online cave training”. Additionally, in person cave training does not guarantee quality.
I'm for discussing stuff like 'how can I improve whatever' kind of stuff.
But not 'how to plan gas for dive into a random siphon' kind of stuff.
When I scroll through the thread names in the cave sub-forum it seems fine to me. This thead is not fine.
There is a huge difference between talking with other trained diver about different stage rigging methods and trying to explain to untrained people how to do basic gas planning. The latter is online cave training.

When I scroll through the thread names in the cave sub-forum it seems fine to me. This thead is not fine.
There is a huge difference between talking with other trained diver about different stage rigging methods and trying to explain to untrained people how to do basic gas planning. The latter is online cave training.

Too bad for you that you’re not in charge around here; I’ll say whatever I want as long as it doesn’t violate the TOU.

Since this is online cave training, could one of you guys issue me a cert card? After reading this thread I basically feel like an expert

People ask me pretty regularly how do I “not run out of air” when I cave dive. I tell them about thirds. Am I their cave instructor now? Ridiculous.

Too bad for you that you’re not in charge around here; I’ll say whatever I want as long as it doesn’t violate the TOU.

Since this is online cave training, could one of you guys issue me a cert card? After reading this thread I basically feel like an expert

Heck I’ll violate the TOU sometimes. Whatever.

People ask me pretty regularly how do I “not run out of air” when I cave dive. I tell them about thirds. Am I their cave instructor now? Ridiculous.
I know you shtick is to post one liners. You're spinning.
Thread should have been closed after this post:
We must be thoughtful of not “teaching you how to think and calculate” gas planning. Many people will read this -who are not certified to be diving in a cave - and therefore should not be learning from us how to plan your gas.

I know you shtick is to post one liners. You're spinning.
Thread should have been closed after this post:
I’m not spinning at all. You’re finally running into resistance against your ideas of hiding information from people. Some random bozo on the internet determining what people can and cannot think and know about is absurd.

Like I said before, “thought police”.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom