Advanced Nitrox

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Steve. I'm sure you know much more about it than I do,but the first time I used doubles was on my Advanced Nitrox/Deco course. Went over loads of VPM,RGBM,Gradient Factors etc. Maybe that would not have been included in Advanced Nitrox on its own??

I have to know more... it's my job! LOL

Anyhow, no maybe about it... you took what is the 'standard' configuration... both combined. Had you taken advanced nitrox on its own, you would not have discussed decompression procedures in any detail at all.

Someone doing advanced nitrox as a stand-alone may well use doubles (same with someone doing intro to tech) but it is NOT required.

I am a newb to tech stuff but from my research the Adv nitrox / intro to deco combined is the only way to go.

Here in Fort Pierce I personally know at least a dozen guys with OW cards who do this everyweek end.

USe the fishfinder to find schools 130 to 160.
Jump in with speargun.
Drop to school.. shoot fish.. blow bag
SLow ascent.. no deco.

To me that is right up there with the revolver and loading one.. give her a spin and *click*

won that one.

What?:confused: Do they do it with no deco gasses? It must be a really long ascent.

Is it worth doing the advance nitrox course without deco procedures, by itself for let say going to shipwrecks down to 125 ft, like u-853

I've never taught Advanced Nitrox without Decompression Procedures.
Very few spearfishing dives past 130' in FL can be successfully completed without running into decompression, especially given the propensity for multiple repetitive dives.
I'm not into cave or tech wreck diving, but for spearfishing the 2 courses are exactly what is needed to more safely hunt the next step beyond recreational depths.
Doubles are rarely used by spearos in FL, certainly not at this level of training.
I'd highly recommend seeking out a tech instructor that is into the style of diving you are interested in pursuing.

Chad

Is it worth doing the advance nitrox course without deco procedures, by itself for let say going to shipwrecks down to 125 ft, like u-853

Generally speaking, deco procedures is the course in which you learn the mechanics of gas switches. So assuming AEANx alone qualifies one to use >40% oxygen but not to dive with multiple gases, what do you think? Would you dive >40% at 125 feet?

Blackwood, thank you but could you be more specific

You need Blackwood to be more specific??? :confused:

At the Advanced Nitrox level, you will become qualified to dive Nitrox percentages greater than 40%. However, unless you are able to take Deco Procedures, you won't learn about planning/executing staged decompression dives. Most people take Advanced Nitrox concurrently with Deco Procedures in order to learn how to use high Nitrox mixtures for accelerated decompression. If you take Advanced Nitrox but you aren't able to take Deco Procedures, you'll be able to fill your cylinders with anything from 22% to 100%, but you won't have the skills/training to safely plan staged decompression dives.

Have you taken Basic Nitrox yet???

What's the ideal Nitrox mix for a dive to the 125 foot range? Do you feel you'd gain anything from adding mixes higher than 40% to your dive plan?

Blackwood, thank you but could you be more specific

I often to try and lead someone to arrive at my own answer rather than simply stating what I think. The thought process is important, and there are likely things I don't consider (the long shallow scientific diving mentioned on the previous page, for example). But expanding on what I said above:

If you are (presumably) open circuit diving and not switching gases (during the dive), by definition the gas you bring is your bottom mix.

While from 125 feet it may be desirable to switch to a deco gas (oxygen sounds good), the training we're discussing does not include that.

So your question (is it worth doing the advance nitrox course without deco procedures, by itself for let say going to shipwrecks down to 125 ft, like u-853) begs another:

What's the maximum PO2 you are willing to subject yourself to? Utilizing an AEANx mix diving to 125 feet, you're looking at a bottom PO2 range of about 1.9ATM to 4.8ATM.

The question is back on you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom