Advanced Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamickey:
You do not NEED AOW for Key Largo. You can go with operations like Ocean Divers. Here is what they state right on their website:

"For deep wrecks (Bibb, Duane, Grove)

Advanced Open Water or equivalent certification
OR have at least two logged dives to 80 feet or
greater within the past 12 months"

Having AOW makes things easier, but it isn't the only way to dive the wrecks in the Keys. That said, however, they are considered more advanced dives.

All true, but this young fellow is not likely to have the deep dives logged. It is also completely up to the dive operator whether any diver makes a particular dive or not.

I think it is great that he is asking now, and not posting a gripe later this year.

There is much more to becoming an "advanced" diver than getting another c-card. I waited over thirty years before I had the need to get mine. Be comfortable in your basics like bouyancy control, deliberation in movement, air consumption, dive planning, etc. Gain the respect of the people you dive with. Find yourself a mentor. Ask questions.

The other thing that crossed my mind... Even if the younger sister completes an AOW course, will she be able to dive with the 16 year-old brother? Does she have to dive with an "adult"? If a guide is hired, do the two need AOW? I do not know the answers.

Anyhow, good luck to both!

Good points, Gary. I didn't know he is a younger diver. I would also add that you need to discuss this with your parents. It may seem old-fashioned, but I have teenaged children and I would want to fully understand if they were thinking about something like incurs a bit more risk. Particularly the 14 year old.

A Jr AOW is limited to 70' instead of 40' for the Jr OW. The education is exactly the same. I would NOT recommend a 16 yr old and 14 yr old buddy up for a 70' dive even if they have completed AOW.

I don't really have a problem with the Jr OW cert, but I'm not thrilled with Jr AOW or Jr Rescue (which also exists). In my personal opinion, anyone under 18 should be supervised by a parent or a professional and I'd prefer the parent has completed Rescue. For the 10-11 yr olds, I'd like to see buddy teams of 3 with 2 adults and the kid. At least one of the adults having been through Rescue.

I wouldn't take them as a paid guide without being under instruction or having had the training. <edit to add> This applies for the deeper stuff, I'd take them on the reef without a problem.

Rachel

biscuit7:
A Jr AOW is limited to 70' instead of 40' for the Jr OW. The education is exactly the same. I would NOT recommend a 16 yr old and 14 yr old buddy up for a 70' dive even if they have completed AOW.

I don't really have a problem with the Jr OW cert, but I'm not thrilled with Jr AOW or Jr Rescue (which also exists). In my personal opinion, anyone under 18 should be supervised by a parent or a professional and I'd prefer the parent has completed Rescue. For the 10-11 yr olds, I'd like to see buddy teams of 3 with 2 adults and the kid. At least one of the adults having been through Rescue.

I wouldn't take them as a paid guide without being under instruction or having had the training. <edit to add> This applies for the deeper stuff, I'd take them on the reef without a problem.

Rachel

And this is the reason I took the "advanced" courses. I dive with my children. As I posted elsewhere, I have no problem taking them "deep" or on a navigation dive. There is a particular responsibility with one's children that transcends legality. My concern with my diving daughters is simply that they develop a proper degree of comfort in the water.

It is not my place to preach or to tell others how to run their lives, but I would take every course that my children want to take. Now, obviously, I didn't have to repeat OW, but I did watch the video, read the manual, and work out the end of section questions with Sheryl. I would like her to take a Nitrox course, but beyond this, she is free to take her diving skills wherever she desires.

Amberjack:
Wow! I had no idea. I'm thinking of taking a trip down there in the spring, with only OW. Will I be limited in my diving?

Definetly plan ahead and talk to the dive operation you plan to go out with. I dove both Duane(103') and Spiegel(76') with only OW after having dove with the same operation on three previous outings. If you prove yourself, you will be able to dive to your abilities. We used Silent World.

Miranda

EDIT: My above response is in reference to the adult divers(there were at least three different posts) who feared they would be limited to 35' in the Keys. I am not saying a teenager with no experience should be diving these wrecks. I'm also not recommending he forgo AOW and just dive the wrecks anyways!!

Miranda - Thanks for the tip!

The duane and especially the spiegel are considered advanced dives. Not only because of the depth but the currents can get very tricky. I could have done both last year. I had aow and rescue and even did some solo deep dives after dive # 50. Instead I waited till this year (I'll be going in May). I've gotten my master cert and deep was one specialty along with uw nav. I also have logged a few more deep dives including recent one to 125 at 3500 ft altitude. My understanding is the duane is 120 to the sand and the spiegel 140 to the sand. Couple that with the currents that could be encountered and I would not recommend this to someone with as few dives as the poster. I definitely would discourage a 14 yr old from them. It may be that both have the skills to do them but experience goes along way in dives of this type. Get a few more deep dives and deep training under your belt. Pushing yourself to be your best is good in most things, ie school, work. Pushing your self to be the best diver you can be means skill developement and training in steps. These steps may be gradual and seem to take a long time at first. But in some things you must slow down and relax in order to progress faster. Diving is one of those. Attempting dives beyond your training and ability can not only hinder that progression, they can get you very dead. There are plenty of shallow wrecks. Practice your skills on these. Get the deep training. Then you can give these a try. They'll still be there. And if you approach deep and wreck diving in this way so will you. I admire your enthusiasm, channel it in the right direction and you will go far. You will also set an example for your sister. You would not want her to get hurt following your example. Set a good one and she won't. Push yourself and her too fast, too far and you could get both of you hurt. Relax, enjoy, you've got alot of diving ahead of you.

redhatmama:
Good points, Gary. I didn't know he is a younger diver. I would also add that you need to discuss this with your parents. It may seem old-fashioned, but I have teenaged children and I would want to fully understand if they were thinking about something like incurs a bit more risk. Particularly the 14 year old.

Hi again red!,

Yeah his profile lists his experience as 5 dives between 30 & 45 minutes long with none deeper than 50 ft.:huh: It's why I posted what I did. I do admire his honesty tho for experience:wink: and his love of the sport.:D

I agree that the Duane and Grove are advanced dives.

What I don't agree with is whether AOW should be the qualifier whether someone is skilled enough to do those dives. An OW diver with 50 varied dives including drift and external wreck dives in Pompano isn't qualified, but someone with as few as 9 training dives (4 for OW, 5 for AOW) and no dives on their own is OK? Really?

Ah, well, I guess that's the price you pay for refusing to feed the beast. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom