Advanced Open Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all for this great insight. I am not trying to just get a c-card so I can go out and do more challenging dives. I would in no way plan to do a dive past maybe 50 or 60 feet without a guide or a more experienced diver even after my AOW. I just thought that the skills I would learn in the class would be very helpful but I do realize that experience is very important and I would like to get a few dives without a guide to shallower depths and a few deeper dives with a guide before I started attempting some challenging dives. And I would definitely not do a dive with my sister as my only buddy and no guide this early on in my diving career becasue neither of us have much experience at all. Since I have limited time diving because i dont live near an ocean I just thought this would be a good opportunity to learn some new skills that I could take back home to the quarry and work on so next time I go to a place to dive I will be able to take on some tougher dives.

Do you know an experienced adult diver your parents trust who might be itching for an excuse to go diving at the quarry? Helping you polish up your diving skills for 15-20 minutes of every dive might provide a convenient excuse.

airmanbaseball,

Judgin by your posts, you appear to have a good head on your shoulders and your enthusiasm for the sport is admirable. While I live in an area that affords me plenty of open water diving, presently I too am limited in the number of local dives I can get in, but this is due to cold seasons and iced up lakes and rivers. I don't have the skills, expereince or gear to attempt winter diving.

But you can get valuable diving time in, even when there's little open water available, if you have a local pool, and some expereinced local divers who would be willing to help you develop your skills.

You will find, as I did recently, that most of the skills that you need to develop can be done so in the pool. Proficiency can be attained in the controlled environment more readily than in the open water, with fewer risks.

Get a local DM or DI who is willing to help you work on bouyancy, trim, different fin kicks. smb deployment, etc, and then drill yourself with all the safety skills to the point where you don't think, you instinctively act. Study dive planning and gas management principles until these become second nature. Task load the safety skills by perfroming them while neutrally buoyant, and not kneeling on the bottom. You may find yourself in a situation where there is not bottom to kneel upon, so it's good to know how to do these while hovering in a horiziontal position. (again you donlt need depth for this type of practice.

Is is true that true may will not get a great deal of exposure to handling current, and low visability issues, and the effect of higher pressure on SAC, trim and buoyancy but if you become truly proficient at the skills that you can do in the pool while awaiting the opportunity to dive in open water, it then becomes a case of adapting to the subleties that increased pressure will create.

Most importantly work yourself down to the deeper depths gradually. Once you have proficient skills, gradually increasing your diving depths will allow you make the fine adjustments to your diving and your gear that the effects of pressure will cause.

All of this does not mean that you have to practice for years before hitting deep dives. A few months of added practice (depending on your proficiency and a few gradual dives for pressure exposure and your on your way.

I did not do these things and had issues on my AOW at 95 feet down with keeping myself trimmed, and buoyant. This increased the stress that I was under, and I wnet through air like there was no tomorrow.

My wife and I are now planning to hit the pool on regular basis, at least once a week, tp practice these same skills, in prep for the upcoming diving season.

DO NOT put too much faith in doing deep dives with DI or DM assistance alone. That's exactly what we did, and it ended up in a seriouslty flawed dive terminiating in OOA. I;m not saying this will happen to you, you very well could be a much more skilled diver than I, but the risk is there noe the less.

One can never eliminate the risks, just reduce the possibility of these risks.

Safe diving.

Storm

JimLap:
Hi again red!,

Yeah his profile lists his experience as 5 dives between 30 & 45 minutes long with none deeper than 50 ft.:huh: It's why I posted what I did. I do admire his honesty tho for experience:wink: and his love of the sport.:D

Hey Jim,

I agree that he seems to have a good attitude and is realistic about his goals, not like someone else we won't mention. :wink:

Thank you storm. I got so caught up in practicing in the ocean I never really thought too go back to the pool. haha. That is a great idea because there is never a time when you can't use the pool and I won't be able to dive a quarry for another couple of months or until I learn to use a drysuit. I believe if i called my local dive shop they would probably let me dive during the confined water for the OW class for a very low charge and I might be able to help my dad out with some skills. My dad went through the classroom and the confined water Ow training but couldn't handle going in the ocean because he didn't feel comfortable.I ordered the manuel used during the AOW class for padi so after reading that I could try out some of the skills in the pool with the help of a DM and that would help me when I actually take the class. Then I'll be better prepared for my AOW class and maybe he will get certified, that would be a great family trip.

airmanbaseball,

I commend you for having a such a solid and responsible outlook on your diving. You're thinking about everything just right. Anytime you want to come down and dive with me, I'd be happy to go!

Rachel

I don't know if this was covered in your training or not, but it's entirely possible for you to show up and ask to go on a dive that is way beyond your capabilities, and have the dive operator say "sure!".

Some of the wrecks are very challenging and others are sometimes easy and sometimes hard based on how the current is running (The Spiegel Grove for example). Experienced divers have been injured and some have died.

I'm not trying to scare you off, but want you to be aware that just because you have a particular C-Card, or the dive op is willing to take you, doesn't mean you should go. Never be scared or ashamed to call off a dive if you get there and it doesn't look or feel right.

If you have particular wrecks in mind, I'd suggest asking around here if anybody has any concerns or suggestions.

Terry

airmanbaseball:
What are the age requirements for the Advanced Open Water class? I'm going to visit Key Largo and my mom is too scared to take the class (she just doesn't understand why anyone would want to go deeper then 60 feet) so I was wondering if my sister would be able to take the class with me. She is 14 and fell in love with diving almost as much as i have.

StSomewhere:

I think there is a legal aspect involved here....
An AOW is an 'official' cert. by a training agency with standards and procedures (be they as they may)
50 dives in a log book with a stamp is....well....less 'official' and hence less strong in a legal argument.

NEITHER says much about the actual skill of the diver I'm afraid. But 'tis the way of the world...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom