Advice for boarding in choppy sea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're lucky they took you out at all in 5-6 foot swells! I was in the Keys November 15-22 and Cap'n Hook's in Marathon had to cancel 3/5 dive days due to the 3-4 foot rollers!

Can't say with the Keys but out of West Palm Beach there can be a wide difference between boats and Captains. As I understand it, some boats are more stable in higher seas. Since I vacation to dive its one reason that I switched the boat that we routinely dive from out of WPB, choosing to dive with a boat and Captain that was comfortable with sporty seas.

Some good advice and varied opinions on equipment procedures. Of course do what the crew says as they know the situation intimately. Make your move at a logical time. If no crew, do logical things at logical times. It's kind of like boarding a boat without scuba equipment on but harder. Just use your head.

If no crew, do logical things at logical times.
Although I agree with this, 'logical things' aren't necessarily obvious or even logical to someone without the experience. For me - and anyone else familiar with a boat - it's bleedin' obvious and very logical that you should never, ever loop the anchor rope around your hand while hoisting a grapnel. Still, I've seen it happen (and I've used... very clear communication when I've seen it happen :wink: ).

Some things are very obvious when you've learned them, but not that obvious before that :)

Although I agree with this, 'logical things' aren't necessarily obvious or even logical to someone without the experience. For me - and anyone else familiar with a boat - it's bleedin' obvious and very logical that you should never, ever loop the anchor rope around your hand while hoisting a grapnel. Still, I've seen it happen (and I've used... very clear communication when I've seen it happen :wink: ).

Some things are very obvious when you've learned them, but not that obvious before that :)

Unfortunately I agree. It would puzzle me that someone without a fair bit of boat experience would make their debut on a boat (and climbing up a ladder) on their first scuba trip as well. Akin to those taking OW who have never swam. But hey, that's just me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom