Advice for first timer at Flower Gardens?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bullzi

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi Everyone,
I am taking my first trip to the Flower Gardens on the Fling in mid June. Can anyone offer any advice for a first timer? I was wondering things like: What thickness wet suit do you use? Anything I should "watch out" for? What is it like on the Boat? Any advice you can offer will be appreciated.
Thanks!!

I was on the Spree and if the Fling is anything like the Spree, that giant stride is a doozy. Took me a while to get the courage to jump off. Watch your gas. If you empty your tank you lose your diving priviledges for the rest of the trip. At least that was the rule on the Spree a couple of years ago.

Most importantly, have a blast. If you get to dive an oil rig it is an otherworldly experience.

Making my first trip in two weeks...can hardly wait!

Rule #1. Listen to the briefing!

Rule #2. Shoulda followed Rule #1.

Rule #3. Wadda ya looking for a #3 for go back to #1 that's all ya needs!:D Seriously!!!

Rule #4. Have I mentioned listen to the briefing yet?:14:

They do really really good detailed briefings on the trip out (usually at the very beginning) and before dives. You really need to follow Rule #1.

Above post was mad halfway in jest - the briefings are excellent and contains scads of information important to you.

Visit the Fling and Sprees web site - there are faq's there with good info; at the bottom of this page there are links to other threads on this topic; do a search on this board and you can find more information; and visit the Flower Gardens web site and see what kind of life lives there, as well as topo type of information.

Your specific questions:
"What thickness wet suit do you use?" Look at spree's website and click on weather - water is 77.2 degrees now. A 3mm should be fine now. Should be warmer by June. Trip reports can also be helpful.

"Anything I should "watch out" for?" Briefings will answer a lot of this. Looking at FGNMS web site will help.

"What is it like on the Boat?" The spree has been refitted; if you are going in June you are obviously going to be on the Fling. There are times when you will be elbow to elbow but it is not bad. There are boat layouts somewhere on the website.

"Any advice you can offer will be appreciated."
When diving, most people seem to think after having traveled at least 200 miles that swimming 200 more yards will give them better diving. I have seen more and better stuff right under the boat because of this. I dove under the boat because most people did not, but it is good advice for someone who has not been out there before to not stray far from the boat. Also the first time when leaving the boat, turn around and examine the boat bottom carefully to make sure you can recognize it. This is more important when both spree and fling are there at same time. It can be easy to confuse the two. Other than talk to the dive shop, just slow down. If you stay under the boat, go slow, look for the small stuff, look up and around every few minutes (the big stuff will find you), and oh yeah, have fun. And, most important of all did I mention Rule #1 yet????:D

ps. finish filling out your profile - it helps people know how to answer questions

http://www.gulf-diving.com/
http://www.flowergarden.nos.noaa.gov/
http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=42019

1. Listen to the briefing.

2. The currents can be RIPPING. (as in take your mask off your face). If the briefing says the currents are moderate--keep a hand on your mask as you get in and head to the granny line.

3. Yes, it's a long drop down off the boat. Get in and head for that line.

4. On the bottom, currents can also be bad and the reverse of the surface. Careful orientation on the bottom can help you get back to the boat without embarassment.

drdiver:
1. Listen to the briefing.

2. The currents can be RIPPING. (as in take your mask off your face). If the briefing says the currents are moderate--keep a hand on your mask as you get in and head to the granny line.

3. Yes, it's a long drop down off the boat. Get in and head for that line.

4. On the bottom, currents can also be bad and the reverse of the surface. Careful orientation on the bottom can help you get back to the boat without embarassment.

I have made over 50 dives on FGB and Stetson, never had that bad of a problem with current and if it was that bad they wouldn't let ya off the boat!! Durn Texans are some big exagerater"s:blinking:

You'll absoluely love it. The boats are spartan, but between the galley, your bunk, the dive deck, and the "aluminum beach" up above, there's always a way to get some space. The boat's spartan, but who cares?? We do this to dive, not to lounge around in a 4-star hotel. It's fun, it's "dive, eat, sleep", then repeat...

Everyone uses the deck shower after every dive. We're the cleanest people in the world.

And the diving?? I did it as a newbie when I stepped off the gate (and yes, it's a bit of a plunge, but look straight out and wait for the splash and you'll be fine), it was only my 5th dive since getting my card. The current was minimal, water clear as gin, my buddies had a little more experience than me (of course), and it was just great...they don't call it the "Texas Caribbean" for nothing. East and West Flower are coral and fish, Stetson is sedimentary rock pushed up by the salt dome forces into vertical ridges, like a Stegasoarus' back. A night dive on Stetson (my first ever night dive) is like landing on the moon. Way cool. So's a rig dive, if you have time to get one in.

Good crew, good briefings, good camarderie, and great diving. No air fare for us semi-locals (7-hour drive for me). Best value around. Only downside is the weather, since it's 90 miles offshore it's subject to blowouts, but they'll usually go or cancel in time to keep you from getting on the plane/into the car

You'll love it, and when you're done with that 2 or 3-day trip, you won't be a rookie any more.

Have fun and good diving.

nolatom:
You'll love it, and when you're done with that 2 or 3-day trip, you won't be a rookie any more.
Definitely agree with this. My FG dives, and my NC wreck dives were real confidence boosters for me.

Mauifish:
I have made over 50 dives on FGB and Stetson, never had that bad of a problem with current and if it was that bad they wouldn't let ya off the boat!! Durn Texans are some big exagerater"s:blinking:

It is not so much that current is a "problem" but it may be a condition you will have to deal with. Currents should not cause dives to be cancelled except for rig dives. Surface currents may make the trip off and back on to the boat a bit challenging as you work your way between lines (lines are your friends). Midwater currents may wave you like a flag as you hang onto the mooring line (lines are your friends). It may flutter your cheeks, cause your regs to freeflow, and move your mask if yhou let it. Bottom structure neutralizes much of the effects of current once you get there but it may still effect your movenment and navigation.

Divers who fail to deal with adverse current conditions may get to use their safety sausage and receive a dingy ride and the scorn of their peers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom