Advice for Graves Light Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

okiscub

Registered
Reaction score
Hi - I am going to dive Graves Light for the first time. Someone once suggested to me the Zoo Ship. Is there really a wreck down there called "Zoo Ship"? If so, where? Also, can anyone give me tips on good locations around Graves Light in addition to the Ship, any possible dangers to look out for, and where one might find bugs? BTW - I would describe my dive skills as "advanced beginner" so I probably won't be trying anything too crazy.

Thanks

I dove this siye several times with :
BOSTON HARBOR DIVING COMPANY
heres a little info

City of Salisbury was wrecked on some rocks in 1938. It was a large freighter of about 415 feet in length. Now the site is a large debris field, with wreckage scattered throughout the site. Most of the wreck is unrecognizable, but large pieces of wreck still remain intact. Large boulder type rocks (which the ship struck) are an impressive site as well. Depth for the site ranges from 30' to about 60'.

BOAT DIVE
Scuba-Newengland.com - scuba diving, massachusetts, maine, rhode island, new england, cape cod, dive shops, diving centers, boston
Scuba divers have been visiting this wreck for many years. Her twisted steel sections and debris can make for a very disorienting dive, but worthwhile for the experienced wreck diver. Some artifacts can be found including brass portholes and fixtures.

To find the wreck use the following Loran bearings, 13974.4/.6 25808.6/.7 44283.3. The wreck is located just outside Boston Harbor, north of Grave's Lighthouse. It is easiest to locate the wreck by using a bottom finder to locate the spindle at the shallowest point of rock and then descend from there.

You got good information on the City of Salisbury stern section, but the bow is also divable. It's downhill from the stern section in about 90' of water, and is visited much less frequently.

If you dive the ledge that Graves' Light sits on, the lobstering is good, and you can get a nice long dive in with depths around 40'. I've seen some great vis there too.

Hi - I am going to dive Graves Light for the first time. Someone once suggested to me the Zoo Ship. Is there really a wreck down there called "Zoo Ship"?

Thanks

you may have already realized but the "zoo ship" is the City of Salisbury, and is so nicknamed due to it's unusual cargo when it grounded. The freightor was carrying a large qty of wild animals in it's hold. Many stories talk about monkey's and snakes making it to various points on shore around Boston harbor after the sinking.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom