Advice for LDS operators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cixelsyd I was not blaming the OP. In today's economy paying someone when there are no customers makes no sense. So they close early. Sucks but a fact of life.

There may be no customers because they are closed. Sucks but it makes sense. :depressed:

The old stand-by sh1t happens. I call whenever I can. Saves gas and tempers.

I've tried to stop by our "local" dive shop half a dozen times and found them open once. All they did was complain about how slow business is. I don't even try to support them anymore.

I have to agree with the OP. If you post times in your door or website, you should make every effort to stick to them. I would be very unlikely to go back to a store that was closed during posted hours unless they had a sign in the window explaining circumstances (sick employee, birth, funeral) A sign saying We got bored or We went diving would not do it either. Just my 2 psi.

... or you do what I did and get your dive shop owner's home phone number ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Was this posted on the website? Was that the same as the sign on the door? I rarely trust a websites info, even major chains get that wrong from time to time. The Home Depot near me was open an hour longer than what the website said as they change it seasonally. Dive stores may not even remember they have a website to adjust when they change hours. My LDS of choice is 1.5 hrs away, I always call to confirm the hours. Having said that, if they have posted hours on the door or I called, I would expect them to be open unless they had an emergency.

I've seen other businesses close early - but the boss never knew it. Some turn down the lights and pretend they are closed hoping no body comes in. A teenage friend did this all the time at the service station he worked at. Absent management and poor employees can be bad for business.

Sorry, its a business. You want to run a business you stay open for the hours you post. If you want to run a hobby, well, don't expect to make money and don't be mad when people buy online.

Bad economy or not, the LDS need to keep their word. If they say they will be open until a certain time, they should be open until that time. If you're only open when it's convenient, or when customers are in the store, you are not giving the local divers a reliable place to conduct their diving related business.

There is a dive shop in my town that is very flakey with their hours. There are days that they stay closed because the owner just doesn't feel like getting out of bed. The shop often closes early, and besides all that, they don't have any gear to purchase. It's been 4 months since I've been there.

On the other hand, there is are a couple dive shops 45 mins away, requiring driving through downtown Orlando or taking toll roads in order to get to them. Those are the shops I now go to because they stick to their posted hours and most often, they are there well past their posted closing time. They will sit there and talk diving after hours while they are off the clock. They have earned my business.

Lastly, even if the shop had to close early due to some unforeseen event, it wouldn't take much to tape a hand-made sign to the door stating they had to close early due to an emergency.

I try and get in touch with the ocean
She replies with an, everythings fine

Half way through, she changes her mind
We have been one for decades I love her

When the dive shop dude, closes his doors
and delivers to a good customer I love him too

Sign on my store door (might be copyrighted by someone else)

Office Hours:

Open most days about 9 or 10
Occasionally as early as 7,
But some days as late as 12 or 1
We close at 5:30 or 6
Occasionally about 4 or 5,
But sometimes as early as 11 or 12
Some days and afternoons we aren't here at all,
But lately I've been here just about all the time
Except when I'm someplace else,
But I should be here then, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/