Advice from a newbie.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HPT3

Reaction score
I have less than 20 dives under my weight belt with most of these being off the NJ coast were the water is typically a bit murky. These conditions make me a little nervous and I tend to use my air rather quickly. In the past, the waves have been 4' to 8' and my weights weren't quite right and I've had trouble descending. Well, I hope this is all over now. I just returned from a trip to Coz and Grand Cayman. The water was clear blue and the waves were 2' to 4'. The ocean had a calming effect and I had an opportunity to be more at ease with the dive. The last dive I did in Coz, my dive buddy, who told me he dives often, called the dive before me. We were in for 40 minutes and I ended with 1250 lbs. My dive computer read 12 more minutes to reach 700 lbs. I never felt more at ease. Now with more confidence, I feel I will be more comfortable here in the murky depths of Jersey. The point of this story is simple. For all the other newbies out there. Go somewhere were you feel at ease. The Jersey coast is great, but I was overwhelmed and uncomfortable with the conditions. I couldn't enjoy the dive. I think my next Jersey dive will be different, now that I have more confidence. I think I'm going to do a few more practice dives at Dutch Spring before I tackle the NJ coast.

ScubaRon:
How do you dive in 8' waves?

The worst part if getting back on a boat. For one, you approach on the current line with deflated BC, so if the boat jumps up on top of you, you don't have 40# of lift pushing up against a 100 ton boat! Want to grab the bottom rung of the ladder, with your fins straped around your wrists, reg & mask in place for diving in case you fall, and work the rythym. Did it in 12 footers once off of Key Largo - just before they shut down for 3 days!

or use a RIB which is far easier to climb onto in rough seas...

Couple of comments on this. I don't know what dive op HPT3 went with, but the one I use, Dina Dee, has a special ladder so that removal of fins is not required. But, I'm kind of surprised that you went out in 8 footers. That's pretty high. I mean, from the top of one wave to the trough of another is ~ a 16 ft difference.

HPT3,
Where in NJ are you located? I'm in Edison.

David

i've gone diving in 4 to 6, and it's an experience i do not want to repeat. hats off
to anyone who dives safely in anything higher.

This might be a bit biased but I have heard and from some experience on my own the best divers usually come from the colder rougher waters such as the Northeast. If you can perfect your skills here off NJ you can dive almost anywhere. Chances are you will also appreciate the diving in warmer climates a lot more.

Years ago my husband dove in 13-15 foot waves off North Carolina. The captain was halfway to the dive site before he figured out the conditions were getting bad but decided to do the dive instead of turning back. Hubby said if you failed to board the ladder at the right time you were dangling by your arm from the bottom rung hoping your grip didn't fail before the water got close to you. Needless to say they never went out with that operator again, I guess dangling in the air from the bottom rung of a boat ladder in full gear wasn't their idea of a good time :D
Ber :lilbunny:

I agree with Scottroz - if you can dive cold, rough, low viz waters when you begin, you will be able to dive easier in a lot of places. I have had a similar experience. There is little to compare between your normal conditions and conditions in the tropics. I don't know which is better, learning the hard way and then moving to easier conditions or learning the easy way and then moving to harder conditions. I did the latter just the way it worked out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom