Advice impossible anxiety attacks during diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LauraSeward

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,

I am an advanced open water diver and absolutely adore diving, always have since the day I did a try dive. I've only done around 30 dives so not massively experienced but have always been comfortable in the water. Back in 2011 I suffered with anxiety disorder shortly after my Mum passed away, it lasted for about a year but thankfully I have since made a full recovery and have not suffered any symptoms for about 18 months now. The one thing I haven't done in 18 months however is dive - due to saving for a wedding so not being able to go on holiday! In 3 months I will be going to Fiji for my honeymoon and have heard Fiji is incredible for diving. I am extremely excited about the thought of diving in Fiji however I am also a little anxious that I might have a panic attack under the water due to the concentrated breathing and the fact that you can't just swim to the surface for air anytime you want! I don't think it'll happen but I don't really wanna wait until I'm 30 feet down to find out!

Any advice on what I could do to help eliminate this anxiety - should I do a trial dive here in the UK or should I just try and carry on as I did before and hope that nothing happens?

Any advice would be much appreciated as am so desperate to get back into the water!

Thanks

---------- Post added January 31st, 2013 at 09:43 PM ----------

I blame the iPad,

Why don't you do exactly that. Take a refresher course. Tell the instructor about your concerns and go through skills in the pool and then see if you can do some gentle open water dives that will give you a positive experience.

Then, when comfortable, ask to practice a few tougher skills such as air-sharing, no mask skills, etc., even some things the instructor may know about that are more challenging than OW diver skills to give you some confidence on your honeymoon!

You've never had panic attacks while diving, right? Why think you would have them now?

I think a refresher session in a pool would bring back all the lovely sensations of floating and relaxation that you remember from diving. If you have never dived in your local waters, I wouldn't try an immersion in them to reduce your anxiety. Go back to what you know you love. Try your local diving when you have your confidence back.

Having had to manage a paniced diver back through the surf line to shore I say, yes, please do a refresher. Get some bottom time and see how you react before getting all the way to Fiji.

totally agree with all the previous advice. if you have never had issues while diving before, there is no reason to think you might now. but i understand your concern. but be mindful that the stress of wondering if you you will panic may end up being an actual cause of a panic attack. i do have some experience with this myself. start slow to build your self confidence as advised earlier. focus on all the positives and work on blocking out any negative thoughts while in the water. i also found that have other tasks to do like practicing skills with another diver, or taking pictures, or video etc will occupy your mind and prevent you from letting your mind wander to those negative thoughts.
the old advice to "think positive" sounds too simple but it really does work. if you have not already......try looking up some relaxation exercises (yoga type stuff)
good luck

rick

Take it as easy as you want to. No reason to expect you'll have a problem. Good luck still & happy diving.

Hey mate. This is an area of special interest to me, as I have had a diagnosed 'anxiety disorder' (PTSD) in the past too. There is quite a bit of literature out there on this and diving.

In short, it hasn't been an issue. I have felt anxiety three times underwater. Twice were after hard surface swims in heavy current and chop where I arrived down the line already puffed, had trouble catching my breath, and had to pause to slow my breathing and relax. No biggie. The other one was the first time I felt narced at depth. The dizziness triggered feelings of anxiety from past association. I just signalled my buddy that I was narced and uncomfortable, and did the STOP BREATHE THINK ACT thing, concentrating on exhaling fully and slowing my breath. It worked a treat.

I think in some ways I am a safer diver for knowing what anxiety feels like from past experiences. I can identify it really early, and take steps (stopping, breathing) to settle myself before anything cascades. This might be an edge over people who've never felt anxiety and can't say to themselves 'ah - that's just anxiety starting. No biggie.' The biggest issue with anxiety is, of course, taking it too seriously. I've had to help two people underwater recently who were feeling more acute anxiety (one on the verge of bolting to the surface) and consider myself slowly becoming a competent and very safe diver.

In short, start with some safe shallow profiles (say 20m or less), and monitor yourself - but not so carefully that you spook yourself.

A few sessions with a good instructor at home would be a wise idea if you are nervous - someone experienced who can give you a feeling of extra safety, and be there to give you good tips. Being anxious about getting anxious is, of course, a common and unhelpful loop.

Good on you for raising this, by the way. I asked a similar question (looking for peer reviewed literature on the subject) and got responses by PM from a couple of people who didn't want to publicly put their names to having had anxiety issues. Anxiety is VERY COMMON and VERY TREATABLE and it is a shame any stigma remains, although it does merit caution and serious consideration (as you are doing) when it comes to diving.

EDIT: Congratulations on the upcoming wedding!!!!

Take the refresher course or try some snorkeling and free diving to get back to the salt water. No one said you have to scuba. I've seen plenty just free swimming. Congratulations ,also, on the upcoming wedding.

I would recommend doing the refresher course, however I would recommend it simply due to the fact that youve been out of the water for a long time (atleast as far as scuba goes) and that you should get the skills refreshed regardless of wether or not youve had problems with anxiety or not.
If youre taking any form of medication I would check how that complies with diving though..

well said mantra

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom