Advice needed for moving to Hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd choose Maui - I've only been to Maui - or Big Island, for the population density.

Another point for Maui, easy to get to three major islands by boat plus Molokini, so kinda central.

Maui has great beaches, great diving/snorkeling spots accessible from shore. Great things to see at Little Beach and Big Beach.

We like accessible by shore. :) It's what kept me in the Fort Lauderdale area for 30 years and attracted me to relocating to St. Croix. Now it will be a factor in yet another relo. Thanks!

My wife and I moved to the Big Island (from San Diego) 12 years ago. While the island is about the same size as San Diego County (~4000 square miles), it feels very much like a small town. It's hard to go somewhere and not run into somebody you know.

A resource for shore diving information for the Big Island: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: The Big Island, Hawaiian Islands . Reasonably accurate. People launch Kayaks from Kealakekua Bay; there is some pretty reef on the northern end of that bay (the southern end, where the launch ramp is, doesn't have much reef). Another useful resource (though a bit dated) is Amazon.com: So You Want to Live in Hawaii: The Guide to Settling and Succeeding in the Islands (Second Edition) (9780966625363): Toni Polancy: Books .

As others have mentioned electricity is very expensive here ($0.45/kWh), gasoline is > $4.00/gal, and there is a traffic problem in Kona. The Big Island, being the youngest of the main Hawaiian islands, has a lot of lava rock shoreline and few beaches. So if it's sand you're after you'd best look at other islands. Feel free to pm me with questions if you'd like.

We lived on Oahu for 2.5 years, having moved there from NYC. It was a tough move, and we ended up returning to NYC last August. It's a pretty place, but we were seized with rock fever almost immediately upon arrival - a feeling that never left, sadly. It is costly and time-consuming for family and friends to visit, too, which didn't help our homesickness.

Initially, we lived near the north shore, which is a lovely and laid-back place to be. Amazing shore diving in the summer, too. But since I had to commute daily to Honolulu, it got tiresome quite quickly, even though the drive was really lovely. We resettled in Kailua, on the windward side, which was a decent place to be. The rents are astronomical, and I say that even as a New Yorker. Don't get a lot of bang for your buck, either. There is excise tax on everything, so the cost of living is high indeed, from gasoline to electricity to groceries.

But if you can get past all that, the diving is amazing. Humpback whales in winter and green sea turtles everywhere...I still miss those. If you expect to encounter reefs teeming with soft coral a la Caribbean, you will be disappointed...they wouldn't last five minutes in Hawaiian waters...but you will quickly come to appreciate the endemic critters and amazing lava topography that literally testifies to the violent formation and gradual erosion of the Hawaiian islands. There are some lovely deep reef dives of the Waianae coast and off Hawaii Kai...you will not be disappointed, believe me. Bear in mind that O2 costs in HI are quite high and helium especially so, which is obviously a factor when planning the frequency of your decompression dives.

Big Island diving is apparently quite remarkable...never had the time or money for a trip, sadly. But we did make it over to Kauai for a dive trip to Niihau. Amazing, amazing trip. Do it, if you get the chance. Some mates of mine somehow managed to appropriate a boat and tKe a dive trip to the northwestern Hawaiian islands, which is usually only accessible by researchers - the trip is too long and expensive for most boatless mortals. They had the time of their lives, too - their 'dive sites' were pristine and untouched, and teeming with life. Pigs.

Hawaii did not work for us, but my God, I miss the diving every single day. It's nothing short of amazing, especially the deeper reefs. Good luck, whatever you decide. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I lived on Kauai for a bit and now on Oahu. Kauai is very quiet with low population density. It has beautiful beaches, especially on the north shore. The only "city" is Lihue on the south shore and Wal-Mart is basically the center of shopping opportunities there. Kapaa, on the east side, is a cool little town with a hippie vibe. There is a popular shore dive site on the south shore called Koloa Landing. Its a pretty nice reef by Hawaii standards with lots of life. Its 50ft or less until you get pretty far offshore, which you would need a DPV or boat to do. In the summer months, you can dive Tunnels Beach on the north shore. It is a shore dive that allows you to explore some caverns and swim-throughs. Interesting for a few dives but lack of scenery makes it get old. The beach itself is amazing though. From Kauai, you can also access Ni'ihau, a small private island, by boat on a day trip. I never made it there but everyone seems to love the diving. If I lived on Kauai again and had my choice of anywhere on the island I would live in Kapaa on the east side or Princeville on the north.
Oahu has everything from super crowded city to beautiful beaches. The diving is diverse with reefs, wrecks, boat and shore diving. I've dove the south and west sides so far. The wrecks are interesting and a couple on the south side attract a lot of life. The reefs that I've seen are not that impressive though turtles seem to be quite abundant. The north side diving is supposed to be very nice but is, again, only accessible in the summer months.
There are some pictures and dive descriptions from Oahu and Kauai on my blog and Flickr page if you want to check therm out: Diving Addiction

I lived on Oahu for 5 years and Kauai for 4. Kauai was way nice for me but I grew up in a farm town so the city life and traffic on Oahu wasn't for me.

BUT, I'm a spearo too and if I WAS going to move back to Hawaii and could live anywhere? Moloka'i or maybe Lana'i. No one lives there. Kind of like Belize. No spearos cleaning it out. I have a buddy on Oahu who boats over to Moloka'i and says it's unreal.

Last edited:
I like shore diving, and have been to Kona perhaps 10 times and Maui a half dozen, for the primary purpose of shore diving, and typically manage 15-25 dives per trip. For me, Maui is a lagging second when it comes to quality and accessibility. I have rarely seen the kind of visibility on Maui that seems the rule on Kona. I'd say the fish size and abundance, and reef structure is also better here on Kona, though Maui has a couple of outstanding shore-accessible spots. It's quite possible I haven't found all Maui has to offer, but the issue of visibility and reef extent was common to almost all I've tried.

If you plan to get a boat, or use dive charters, I expect the calculus changes to a degree, though maybe not all that much. For both islands the vast majority of sites are only available that way, though I'd bet the average boat ride is still quite a bit shorter on Kona. Another way to judge would be to compare shoreline development along the western sides of each island - I think the constrast will be striking, Kona has much more relatively pristine shoreline. With a big enough boat, you can access the other islands in Maui County, which improves the outlook enormously I'd say.

I do tend to dive here mostly in the winter, so I can't comment on seasonality, but I've rarely been closed out of shore dive accessibility more than one or two days per trip, if at all.

I also lived in SE Florida and I've been living on O'ahu since 2006. Great wreck diving here. I would suggest that you live close to where you work because traffic can get horrific here. Most dive sites are within 1 hour drive...many much closer.

O'ahu will seem like the "big city" after you visit the other islands. O'ahu has 2 Costcos a Sam's Club, a few Walmart and 2 Targets.

Feel free to ask...if you have any specific questions.

As you see, there are great features to each island. I have lived and dived on Maui for a total of 10 and a half years. I have done 20 or so dives on the Big Iland, Oahu and Kauai. Would have done plenty more if conditions and weather had allowed. I also lived in south east Florida for 5 years. Here is my take solely based on my experience.

Oahu-mostly very busy city or suburban life (very , very bad traffic in urban areas) with the exception of scattered pockets of rural life, mostly northshore. Shore diving is accessible but less accessible and fewer spots than on Hawaii or Maui. More spectacular dives on Oahu are Northshore almost exclusively in the summer and wreck dives (mostly only accessible by boat) which team with as much life as any reef (though they may still not interest you.) If you have experienced any rock fever on St. Croix-missing shopping, chain restaurants, big name entertainment, etc you will feel this less on Oahu.

Kauai- quietest main island. Most northerly which puts it a bit further from equator and can result in a couple of degrees cooler water on average throughout the year. Therefore, has smaller coral reefs that are less developed than the more southerly islands. Still has great accessible shore diving but due to the shape of the island being somewhat round the wave action wraps around moreso and can effect the quality of shore diving in more locations. Northshore has interesting underwater terrain with many turtles and sharks but less developed corals. South shore hase more developed coral and more sheltered sandy beaches. Unfortunately, from the most beautiful, huge, sandy beach on the island -barking sands (Polihale) there is no coral reef and often screaming current and shore break. Whole island is a beautiful place to hike. Peaceful but rainier than other islands. That's what makes it the garden isle and keeps more of it green. Basic shopping, amenities and conventional entertainment are much more scarce but diving, freediving, kayaking, hiking, and learning tradition lifestyle abound here. It should be noted that the trip to Lehua from Kauai is very weather dependent and a touch ride most of the year but worth it if you can make it.

Maui- The reason that I have found Maui to be the best fit for my diving partner and I is that there is very accessible shore diving on all sides of the island once you learn to understand the weather patterns and sea patterns (rarely Northshore diving in winter). There is almost always a shoreline with excellent diving and they are all within reasonable driving distance. Even the most distant coast from our location is only a 2 1/2 hour drive. Now, due to the remoteness and need to go to altitude to reach the most distant coast from us (by the most reasonable path) we only dive there when we can camp and have a safe interval after diving before going back to altitude. There are more than 30 dive locations from shore within 45 minutes of our house. Altitude inbetween sites sometimes comes into play on both Maui and the Big Island (Hawaii). Most of our shore dives are from 15 to 45 feet of water which makes for long, fun dives much like the BHB (Blue Heron Bridge for non-floridians). My friends from there love to do 2 hour dives taking photos of critters that believe it or not you can't even encounter at BHB. We also have great boat diving, kayak diving, and scooter diving.Don't discount the wrecks they are where many of our most elusive critters like to hide. Mala Wharf, an old collapsed pier, will remind you of BHB with a little bit trickier walk in entry. We frequently see larger critters like sharks, rays, turtles galore and the occassional monk seal and can always find inumerable nudis and tropicals. Even here we occassionally have seahorses. Island amenities are mostly equal to any mainland area but you can be in almost any climate that you choose. Keep in mind, living upcountry on the mountainside would make diving tricky. There is plenty of hiking in rainforest, bamboo forest, eculyptis forest, native tree forest, ancient trails, and beach walks. Shopping is easy with local grocers for some of the best local produce and meats, farmer's markets, Safeway, Costco, K-mart, Walmart, Ace, lowes and Home Depot. Entertainment is both local and international with the Maui Arts and Cultural Center, Film Festical, Jazz Festival, Hawaiian, Chinese, Japanese, Philipino, Korean, and other South Pacific Islander culterual events year round. Healthcare is much better than many want to admit and this has been significantly important unfortunately. BTW, shore visibility usually averages 35 to 65 feet. Note: If you live Kihei side where you have almost constant sunshine and mild climate you will have sugar cane smoke some seasons.

Hawaii, the Big Island- Another great place to live. There are plenty of places to shore dive. The most consistent are usually on the Kona side and south from there. The shore lines as mentioned are more rocky with fewer sandy beach entries but this and the quick drop off in many areas makes for good clear water. Shore dive visibility averages 50 to 70 foot viz with frequent viz in the 80 to 100 foot range at the better spots. Coral is healthy and abundant. Larger life such as dolphins, rays, pilot whales, and sharks are sited a bit more than other islands. You have great boat, kayak, scooter and walk in diving. Drives to dive sites are a bit longer if you wnat variety. from furtherst point to furthest pint on the island I believe is about 5 or more hours and would involve going to altitude. Kona side is one of the driest sides but does not enjoy as much sun as the drier sides of other islands due to the height of the mountain and the frequent Vog. Even though you are dry and warm, you will often look up to gray skies and have thich, humid, voggy air on Kona side. Hilo side gets more rain though often broken up by sunshine and rainbows. Hilo just has trickier and less diving. Amenities as far as shopping are pretty good though you will use more gas to get to some options but well known entertainment is fewer and farther between. Local stle events and cultural activities abound. Lots of open spaces to explore if you have the budget for the gasoline. Most folks pick a side of the island though and pretty much saty to that side.

Twenty five percent or so of our marine life is endemic. We have nearly twice as many tropical fish species as the caribbean, more than twice as many varieties of eels and lobster. We have far fewer and smaller sponges and soft corals due to our remoteness, the wave action that we see and the cooler temperatures. Other than in the shallows on a sandy beach the water temp is rarely above 80 but it also is usually above 74 almost year round.

Good luck with your choice. I wholeheartedly agree that you need an exploraory vacation here first. At lesat a month would be best if at all possible.

Take lots of money. I know WMart and Cosco have helped, but Hawaii living is expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom