greetings! Headed to Cuba..

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi again scubaboard-ers. I'm a retired-ish commercial diver, 48, very healthy, travelling with my partner who is very healthy and athletic but a new diver. I have never been much impressed with recreational diving destinations or tours for the most part, although I ahve been lucky enough to take part in a few great ones over the years. ...but my lady is very intersted in recreational SCUBA, so off we go on our first of many "fun dive trips". We chose Cuba because we love music and plan to explore Havana a bit. We also plan to visit Veradero. My question to you all is.. what is hands down the beset diving you've seen/done/heard of in Cuba? Do you have any contacts you'd be willing to share (in personal messages please). I speak fluent Spanish and have lived in Latin America so language and culture are not a significant barrier. We are able to pay under the table in cash, in case you "know someone we should look up.." I have extensive experience and training, and my partner and I are up for rusting or challenging travel and logistics, and athletic/challenging dive conditions in order to access the best examples of natural/pristine environments. Just looking for useful tips, up to date information, and any possible conacts or recomendations.

please and thank you.

cheers!

I was there 21 years ago before was a diver. All I recall was hearing that there were dive trips to Cienfuegos on the south shore.

Top 5 recommendations for Cuba:

1. Don't stay in a Cuban Hotel
2. No abres la boca - para nada
3. Don't give any Cuban people cash money - hay chivatos en cada esquina
4. Keep your wallet safe
5. Trust Noone

Si te pasa algo, la culpa es tuya por ir aun pais comunista. Deber de ir a otra isla.

A beautiful island and a magnificent culture. Don't pay any attention to those who criticize politically. Bring cash, don't rely on credit cards. Most things are a financial bargain. World class music and excellent diving over healthy reefs.

top 5 tips rolled into one -dont listen to the cuba hating folk from texas who've never been.....

Had many dive trips to Cuba. Gorgeous diving all around the island frankly with Holguin and Cayo Guillermo as absolute standouts for me.

Have not yet been to Cienfuegos but that's my plan for April.

You and your lady will love it. Cubans are among the warmest and kindest you will meet.

Look up Los Plantados, that's what members of my family went through.

I had a problem with Customs in 2003 because I had a 50 cent ancient coil boiler (hot plate) to boil shells. Apparently "electronic equipment" was a big no-no. In the Customs room were two other guys-- one had a satellite dish and another a stack of Penthouses. Wow, that's what I'd try to bring into Cuba....

Hi again scubaboard-ers. I'm a retired-ish commercial diver, 48, very healthy, travelling with my partner who is very healthy and athletic but a new diver. I have never been much impressed with recreational diving destinations or tours for the most part, although I ahve been lucky enough to take part in a few great ones over the years. ...but my lady is very intersted in recreational SCUBA, so off we go on our first of many "fun dive trips". We chose Cuba because we love music and plan to explore Havana a bit. We also plan to visit Veradero. My question to you all is.. what is hands down the beset diving you've seen/done/heard of in Cuba? Do you have any contacts you'd be willing to share (in personal messages please). I speak fluent Spanish and have lived in Latin America so language and culture are not a significant barrier. We are able to pay under the table in cash, in case you "know someone we should look up.." I have extensive experience and training, and my partner and I are up for rusting or challenging travel and logistics, and athletic/challenging dive conditions in order to access the best examples of natural/pristine environments. Just looking for useful tips, up to date information, and any possible conacts or recomendations.

please and thank you.

cheers!
scubacuba.ca... check out trips.. some of best amounts of coral to see. cheap to go. you have your pick of hotels to stay in

Back
Top Bottom