Advice on Rigging a Dive Rite harness and wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phil_C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi folks, - I hope this is posted in the right place, if not apologies, but I have just upgraded to a Dive Rite Transpac with Rec Ex wing and weight pockets with a view to moving to sidemount eventually but not just yet. Up until now I have always dived with a jacket style BCD.

I want to dive it with singles and a pony at the moment which should be no problem, as the wing comes with 'Taco tabs' and single tank straps so it can mount a single without wrapping around the tank. I am looking for advice for the best way to mount the pony - it is a 3 litre (metric obviously) tank, which I have previously piggy backed onto the single tank.

Ideally I would like to side sling the pony. Any advice gratefully received about how to attach it and how to ensure it doesn't upset the balance of the rig. - thanks in advance - Phil.

The search button will help you greatly. "mounting a pony bottle" or "slinging a pony bottle" or "rigging a pony bottle" should return Scubaboards version of the "great archives". I prefered stage bottle rigging and useing d rings to attach to my harness. Does your new rig have a shoulder and a waist d ring? If so you are closer to being done than you think.
Eric

Excellent link - thanks James - now just need to get it wet !

P

Phil_C:
I want to dive it with singles and a pony at the moment which should be no problem, as the wing comes with 'Taco tabs' and single tank straps so it can mount a single without wrapping around the tank. I am looking for advice for the best way to mount the pony - it is a 3 litre (metric obviously) tank, which I have previously piggy backed onto the single tank. . . . Ideally I would like to side sling the pony. Any advice gratefully received about how to attach it and how to ensure it doesn't upset the balance of the rig.
Your TransPac has shoulder D-rings and waist strap D-rings suitable for slinging a bottle. My metric conversion math may be off, but I perceive a 3 liter bottle to be somewhere in the 19-21 cf range. I frequently see people attaching a 19cf pony to their tank, and less frequently slinging it, but it can be done. Several other posters have directed you to threads describing rigging kits. Given the size of the bottle, you will be best served by creating your own. A useful link is: FKD - Deco Bottle Rigging.

With a bottle that size (small), I seriously doubt that you will even notice that you have it slung on your (left) side. So, rig it with top and bottom bolt snaps, clip it on and go diving.

Cheers Colliam7 - yes it is a small bottle. And gives just about 6 - 8 minutes of air at recreational depths during an ascent which is just about enough to bail out of a no deco air dive where you have a clear run to the surface. Some UK dives sites actually specify you must dive doubles or dive with a pony. Part of the reason I want to go sidemount is to have more options long term.

Eric - sorry missed your point earlier - yes the Transpac does shoulder and waist D rings for side mounting a tank.

Thanks for the links - P.

No worries, all the advice that followed was right on track.
Eric

Given the size of the bottle, you will be best served by creating your own.
g.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom