Advice requested re drysuit undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, the disclaimer: Different people have different tolerance to cold temperatures.

Now that's out of the way, I think you could get away a bit cheaper, and with more flexibility WRT thermal protection if you look into layering.

I transitioned from a neoprene to a trilam DS last spring, and I got an Aqualung thinsulate one-piece undergarment...

I can't find it either. I assume Aqualung stopped making them and just started carrying Whites instead?

Your point about layering is well-taken. If I had the idea that I was going to get away with one undergarment by itself for all conditions, that idea looks ludicrous now.

---------- Post added January 6th, 2015 at 07:08 AM ----------

I have no experience with any of the other undergarments you mentioned. Everybody around here spends their money on Santi or 4th Element.

I'm going to have another research and think about what you've all said, but at this point I'm inclined to try the Arctic with some appropriate baselayer when needed.

Thanks, everybody.

If I had the idea that I was going to get away with one undergarment by itself for all conditions, that idea looks ludicrous now.
It does, doesn't it? :D

At least IME, if your undergarments keep you comfy warm in winter water, you'll be wetter in a DS than in a WS if you try the same protection in more temperate seasons of the year. Only difference is that with the DS, you're soaking wet before you jump...

I use a Thermal Fusion in 36 degree water and I am fine for 45 minute dives. There is a short learning curve for donning the suit but once you figure it out it goes on very easily.

I've probably got 120 dives on a Thermal Fusion and generally it's holding up well with exception of a couple external seams. I've used it for diving year round here in Puget Sound and I'm pretty toasty, but do layer with UA Cold Base and a wicking tee-shirt in the winter. I picked up a set of 2-piece 4E Arctics and they seem slightly more bulky than the TF, and not quite as warm. Like others, I'm good for at least 50 minutes here locally if not longer. That's just my experience.

The arctics are nice, they are not warm enough alone for temps in the 40's and will need layering. When we dive Lake Michigan in the colder parts I've been using my arctics with an under armour cold gear base layer, a waterproof base layer, the arctics, and a thin (not sure of the weight) jumpsuit over that. That is combined with a 12mm hood and dry gloves. Less than that and I get cold.

I know a few local divers who use the 4th element halo 3d, I believe for extreme temps they may add a layer. I have only heard positive comments about it.

My regular dive buddy uses the DUI XM450s and swears by them, if the water isn't below 40 he says he gets too hot.

I know others who use the Weezle extreme plus and are warm, but say they are bulky.

I just picked up a Santi BZ400 a few days ago as I'm tired of having to wear 4-6 layers and would like more mobility (I still use the Arctics with a single or no base layer for warmer waters in the mid 50's and up). I haven't had a chance to try the BZ400 out yet so I can't comment on it, I've been told by others who use it that it is warm. I like the size and lack of bulk with it and even if I have to add a base layer it will be more mobile than what I've been using.

If you haven't already, talk to members of the Chicago Scuba Meetup group as many there dive regularly in the local waters and can tell you what has worked for them in the area. I've found I typically need lighter undergarments for temps in the mid 50's and up and another heavier set for temps down into the 30's which is frequently found year round at depth.

The arctics are nice, they are not warm enough alone for temps in the 40's and will need layering....

I know a few local divers who use the 4th element halo 3d, I believe for extreme temps they may add a layer. I have only heard positive comments about it.

I belatedly noticed on the Fourth Element website that they have explicit suggestions for different temperature ranges. I realized the Arctic isn't going to do it for me unless I get at least another layer under that. And if I'm spending that much, I realized that I might as well just get the Halo, which just looks really slick. For me, the drysuit is for the extreme end of temperatures anyway. I'm not going to be wearing it with a light undergarment; if temps are in a range where a 7mm is feasible, I'll always go for that over the drysuit. So if I'm going to have one undergarment (at least for now), I'd rather it be a super cereal one.

How do I get in touch with the Chicago Scuba Meetup group?

I belatedly noticed on the Fourth Element website that they have explicit suggestions for different temperature ranges. I realized the Arctic isn't going to do it for me unless I get at least another layer under that. And if I'm spending that much, I realized that I might as well just get the Halo, which just looks really slick. For me, the drysuit is for the extreme end of temperatures anyway. I'm not going to be wearing it with a light undergarment; if temps are in a range where a 7mm is feasible, I'll always go for that over the drysuit. So if I'm going to have one undergarment (at least for now), I'd rather it be a super cereal one.

How do I get in touch with the Chicago Scuba Meetup group?
http://www.meetup.com/chicago-scuba-meetup/

Its a friendly group with open monthly meetings with guest speakers. http://www.meetup.com/chicago-scuba-meetup/events/219655877/ link for this months meetup.

I dive mostly in Puget Sound / Salish Sea. Water temp here varies from 12C in the summer to 7C further north in the winter. I like 50 to 70 minute dives most days and use the one piece Arctic suit with different under layer options depending on the temperature. I always use a wicking base layer, typically Under Armor Cold Gear, and add a mid layer as necessary. Currently I'm using a Waterproof 3D Mesh vest which keeps me comfortably warm on longer dives.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I dive the Weezle Compact in Summer (temp range 8-15°C) and the Weezle Extreme in winter (temp range 2-6°C) the Extreme does reduce flexibility but not as much as I had expected. I have also dived my Compact with functional skiing underwear underneath before I had my Extreme but the gain in warmth was not really much, maybe the underwear was just too thin to make a diference :wink: I like the weezle concept beacause it keeps me dry even when the inside of the suit is damp and it has kept me warm when my neck seal and my exhaust valve leaked.

You will most likely over time buy more than one system. Each person is diffrent, each suit fits different, we all have different cold tolerances and dive different profiles. The most important consideration IMO is getting a setup that leaves you with enough space in the suit to have the necessary movability and flexibility to dive safe and in comfort.

I ended up getting a new suit because my thermal requirements change and the suit with thermals was getting very restrictive (it also leaked).

The fusion thermal and halo3d are very nice. An addtional wicking layer is vital. Bulky undergarments is not a bad thing as long as you have the space availible in the suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom