AERIS AT400 DVT / Atmos pro uncontrolled freeflowing issues

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cliffpiper

Registered
Reaction score
I bought an AERIS AT400 w/ DVT first stage and Atmos pro second stage regulator setup about 2-3 months ago brand new from an authorized dealer. The day that I got it, I took it to the pool to test dive it before taking it out to open water. This was the first time I had uncontrolled freeflowing issues. The first time it freeflowed, I was out of the water and it just started freeflowing after "LIGHTLY" touching the purge. The sensitivity knob was all the way back. I mentioned this to the dealer I bought it from and he dismissed it saying nothing was wrong with it and that they all do that if you aren't careful with it out of the water. Now keep it mind the purge was barely touched. I used it in the pool about 4 times before taking it into open water and it never did it again, but did seem to have a steady stream of bubble coming from the second stage mouthpiece while underwater. Even with the knob all the way back.

Now for the fun part of the issue. So I went to the lake today and went to a depth of about 20ft. The reg started freeflowing under water for no reason. I gave it a firm smack and it stopped, so I resumed my dive. I dove twice more and it didn't freeflow after that. I assumed the issue was taken care of.

I went to another popular dive site and went to a depth of about 60ft. The reg started acting funny and started "mini freeflowing" (I guess that's the best way to put it). After about 15 seconds, the thing just gave and I had a full on uncontrolled freeflow. Tapping the second stage didn't help at all, so I had to ascend and call the dive. None of the dives were fun as I was in fear of the reg flowing. I'll give you the dive profile of the 60ft dive where the freeflow was worst and unstoppable.

Maximum depth: 59ft
Bottom Temp: 46F
Bottom Time: 11 minutes
Breathing Gas: Air @ 3000 PSI 80 Alum

I don't really want to take it back to the dealer where I bought it because this is the second reg I've bought from him and this is the second reg that has given me major issues. The first one (a sherwood) just wouldn't give air after a purge period. Now this one just freeflows at random times for no apparent reason.

I take very good care of my equipment and clean it regularly. The dealer keeps telling me that there is nothing wrong and I'm being paranoid. I do not want him to service my reg. That response just seems unprofessional to me. They shouldn't even need to be serviced yet. The reg is way under a year old and brand-new. The serial numbers are listed below.

AERIS AT400 DVT S/N: 51313464
ATMOS PRO S/N: 02010503

It would be nice to hear from someone here tell me what's up with my reg and whether or not it is malfunctioning so I know I'm not losing my mind. It has happened 3 times now, 2 of which the purge or entire reg was never touched. It seems to be random. All I know is it was quite stressful for me and my diving partner when it happened at 60ft. Not fun at all, not to mention it is cutting into my diving season severely. I love AUP products but this is getting crazy. Please let me know something.

Thanks!

It's going to be difficult to make any determination without seeing the reg. The first thought that comes to mind considering your location is water temp - can it be a factor? In any event, I'd be happy to have our guys take a look at it - and service it as needed. PM or email me to make arrangements if you want to send it down to us.

PM sent. Also, I was on the diveaeris.com website and noticed that there is a recall on the AT400 and the hazard sounds identical to what happened to me. Any chance my reg is affected by the issue listed? Even though it was for regs sold in 2006 and 2007, I don't know how long the shop had this reg in store for and the hazard sounds really convincing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom