Aesthetics in a dive shop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My favorite store/training centre up here in Canada is Tech Diver in Mallorytown on the St Lawrence River run by Dan Humble. Lots of everything you'd need for diving up here, absolutely excellent blending/fill station…..air fills are in the actual garage of the house, and O2 and He are in separate sheds in the back. The store itself is well lit. Dive Tech Training Centre - Home Page

Yup, that is one impressive place!

To the extent that the appearance and style reflects the character of management I think it is important. A shop that is organised, cared for and 'professional' can be an indication of how the products and services being sold.

It doesn't always follow. It was interesting to think back to one of the dive shops that I avoided when I first began diving because it looked scruffy and the hire equipment seemed second rate. The glass on the computer console was scratched and hard to read and they sold Scubapro gear whereas I learned with Aqualung gear. I've since changed my perspective especially after having problems with the Aqualung BCD. My computer console cover is also scratched and difficult to read. But once you are under water it is fine. :dork2:

I'm wary of too much focus on appearance. Some of the most rude shop assistants I've met were in well presented, cool and trendy dive shops.

A good dive shop is one that sells good products and services, has capable shop assistants and provides good advice, stands behind their products and is friendly and courteous. It's hard to find one that covers all bases.

I can look like a clean garage like my friend who is a neat freak, it just can't look like a dirty garage like mine.

I had to laugh at this. The place where we get our fills, which is kinda sorta a dive shop, in that the owner is a dealer for various brands and will order you stuff, but doesn't have a showroom, is in a garage. That garage is neat enough and clean enough to eat off the floor (maybe not literally, but close!) I love going in there, even though it IS a garage. But I've been in dive shops that were more garage-y than Scott's garage is! (I've been known to say I want to go LIVE in Scott's garage . . . )

Interesting question. One store in Vancouver is fully stocked with all sorts of dive gear(or was the last time I was in it), lots of choice in rec gear well laid out and very attractive and I wouldn't spend a dime in the store. Unexco in Freeport is similar. Great store, lots of pictures lots of stock - but their market as is the one I am thinking of in Vancouver, is the new diver. Full retail prices, no, or minimal stock on anything but beginner gear and impulse buy high profit stuff. Backplate, webbing, bolt snaps, paddle fins ... not going to find them here.

The store I frequent here in Victoria is small, and not a lot of stock, but so far I have not come in and asked for something they didn't have. Same for the couple in Vancouver I frequent. All have local trips for a whole range of divers from beginners to tec. Victoria store had an ice diving trip some time this month for example. All have a weekly guided dive - just show up to the shop.

I do want a store that is at least neat with a professional appearance, I want to be able to see the compressor or at least have access to it and I want to be able to BS about my latest trip or the shop's latest trip, or upcoming event, for a few minutes when I drop in. Wouldn't deal with one that was as much of a disaster as my basement, but don't need/want much more than neat and tidy. If it is full on retail I will probably move on.

Call me heteosexual but a clean, well lit, cheerfull/thoughtfull environment will share some of my $$$. Service and the way you represent it goes a long way.

Since when did heterosexuality have any thing to do with anal-retentiveness?

What an amazing and original thread topic! I could never have thought of this.

If I am walking in for gear purchase then I prefer garage type shops because I feel more confident dealing with someone who is into the "nuts and bolts" of things. I once went into a dive shop that was made to look like a Scuba fashion boutique. It had all the shine and glamor and the staff was all dressed in shop t shirts etc. I asked the sales person if she would replace the webbing on my BP wing and she told me she had never seen a BP wing before. I was new to BP wing diving myself back then and I needed someone to show me how to put a bare bones hogarthian style harness. This was not the place. The sales girl was a DM in training and she had no idea what the heck I was even talking about. We went in google and she said she had never seen anything like that. After that, if I walked into a shop without knowing anything about the owner, I would be more comfortable in a hardware styled garage type shop because it would give the impression that I am dealing with someone who is into the dirt of things.

Now when it comes to taking courses however, garage type setting is not the ideal setting. I have taken my AOW course in a place that looked like a mechanic workshop and the atmosphere was far from academic. In all honesty, I have fantasized about dive shops being replaced by a "divers hang out" where people could go and order coffee and refreshments, meet other divers and watch gear demonstrations. There could be presentations on ship wreck histories, marine environments, conservations as well as movie nights. Dive shops need to evolve more into social clubs rather than "shops" because as long as they see themselves as "shops" internet businesses will always kick them in the rear end IMHO. No amount of aesthetics can help there :D

Final Note: I stay away from colorful things in scuba diving. In my experience everything that comes in black is more reliable. Example:

Jet fins / Turtle fins
Apeks and Hog regulators
Wings
Seasoft drysuits

You get the point :)

There is a particular store in Vancouver that stocks all kinds of techy stuff, webbing, backplates, can lights and so on. They are super organized and have spoiled me for going anywhere else.

The shop I go to is well lit, well organized, clean etc. All the shops I have been to around here are like that. The shop I use was started in the Basement/Garage, but that was over 50 years ago.

Our shop is extremely attractive and well laid out. The 2nd outlet the same, but much smaller. Most of the shops I've been in in the U.S. are the same-- they all looked pretty good, but size varies a lot. I couldn't care less about any of that being your typical male.

I like a 'spit and polish' well-lit, orderly and fully stocked common area. So much for that. Past the "employees only" sign -I can tell the difference between "busy" and competely disorganized. Being able to pull off both a good front room and back room shows discipline and attention to what really matters.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom