After 5 trips, Looking for new GREAT places to dive in Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been tempted to get down to Davao but haven't heard that much about the diving there.

You should give Davao a try. But as far as I can remember getting a dive boat during weekday is NOT easy!! There is simply NOT enough customers(local or outsider) around. BTW, diving there is a whole day affair as most of the sites are pretty far.
While in Davao, should pop over to Gen San as well.

I did dive Davao area twice. the diving is OK not nothing great, in my opinion. for me the best overall diving is Balicasag island in bohol. i also really liked moalboal cebu before the sardines left. looks like i am leaning toward going to sogod now. i have never been there so it is worth going to checkout and others say the diving is very good.

I have thought about Apo reef but thought it was hard to get to? I am trying to stay in the philippines, i have been to the great barrier reef before. i never heard of Sipilay, sounds like i need to research that place. i am thinking about going to Siagao island for surfing and hanging out which is near Surigao area but did not know the diving there was any good in Surigao?

Your on the right track about diving Surigao. I lived and dove there for 5 years and you will be hugely satisfied! Use Punta Bilar Dive Center. They are the first and best dive shop in Surigao. They are the ones who developed the industry there and discovered all the dive sites and continue discovery more on a regular basis. The area is pretty much virgin and it is inexpensive compared to most other places.
There is a 2 kilometer house reef right in front of the dive shop, plus dozens of other local sites. Most of the pics in my gallery are taken there in Surigao. The other benefit is that you mentioned Siargao for surfing. It has great surfing, but also has one othe the best cavern/cave dives in the Philippines. Some pics can be found in my pictures here. It is called the 'Blue Cathedral'.
Google 'diving surigao' or surigao diving' on youtube. Lots of examples. The best hotels are inexpensive and very nice, or there are plenty of budget options as well. You will not find fresher or better fish and shrimps, other sea foods and prices are very low, maybe 200-250php for a kilo of tuna steaks, blue marlin, huge shrimp(500p/kilo)
Besides the diving there are numerous caves for exploring, a nice boardwalk to stroll and find some topside adventure. You will not regret your time there.
This is the fb page for Surigao Dive Club.
https://www.facebook.com/surigao.diveclub

Part of the 'Blue Cathedral' http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/182857/title/blue-cathedral/cat/500
'Black Forest Rocks' http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/183095/title/black-forest/cat/500
Just PM them and they can give you details and have a blast there. Friendly, fun, and if you are adventurous with reasonable experience you will find sites like 'Cantrasa' and 'Georges Shoals' that you will remember always. Incredible night diving also. Could go on for a long time. While on Siargao island be sure to visit Mangpapunko(might be misspelled). There you will find a huge natural swimming pool complete with plenty of fish, banded sea snakes, corals, rock formations and more. There are actually about 4 larger swimable pools, the biggest about a couple acres in size. Entry fee was 50php last year.
Have a great trip if you should decide to go!! Going back there myself early next year, can't wait!!

diverdorr68

Last edited:
thanks @diverdorr68, i subscribed to them on facebook, to check them out.

i am leaning toward sogod right now. plus i plan to go to butuan (just visiting) while in the area. not sure i will have enough time for Surigao. i only have about 10 days total. but i maybe able to do all 3 locations. i will need to research getting between the 3 locations from manila and then back to manila, all in 10 days time.

you can fly into either Surigao or Butuan from Manila. The drive from Surigao to Butuan has been as disaster lately, the road is pretty screwed up last I was there in February. Butuan Bay Divers operates out of Butuan, but not much to see there, better to do Surigao. You can take a 'Bachelor' bus between Butuan and Surigao, maybe 2-4 hours drive depending on conditions. If you dive Sogod, please share your pics/experience there. I've never dove there myself.
If you do mke it to Surigao, I would recommend the Hotel 'Tavern'. They have the best food and very good rooms, plus they are located on the vibrant boulevard. The hotel is operated by the owner of the dive shop as well. So, getting to and from the dive sites is a breeze.
Good luck and looking forward to hear your experiences.

that is true. i can fly into butuan and then maybe get a boat or ferry to sogod that way. thanks for the suggestion.

Malapascua
Bohol
Apollo island and dauin
Camiguin
Coron

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

thanks for your list..........

Malapascua (have not been there. long travel, maybe some day?)
Bohol (great place been there twice)
Apollo island and dauin (went there once, poor vis the 1 day we went)
Camiguin (dove there 1 day, was not as good as i had hoped)
Coron (have not been there yet)

i am looking at going to Sogod and maybe Surigao if i have the time. unless i find some other places?

i am leaning toward sogod right now. plus i plan to go to butuan (just visiting) while in the area. not sure i will have enough time for Surigao. i only have about 10 days total. but i maybe able to do all 3 locations. i will need to research getting between the 3 locations from manila and then back to manila, all in 10 days time.

Sogod Bay is very good. The sanctury blown my mind off if my memory is correct.
However, you will be at Butuan then why not give Surigao a try and if you do not like it you can always catch a ferry to Siargao. There is flight between Siargao, Surigao with Cebu.
Please check the schedule first.

Malapascua? Drop Matt a shout at Evolution. Sipilay looks pretty darn nice though, haven't had a chance to get over there myself yet!

been twice to sipilay,and did around 10 sites there....quite nice....spotted a whaleshark on the way back from one dive,and swam/dived with it for about 30 minutes,in clear water...
also did a small liveaboard to the cagyan islands from there,north of tubataha reef,but was very disappointed with the vessel and the sites.....

---------- Post Merged at 08:01 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:54 PM ----------

I did dive Davao area twice. the diving is OK not nothing great, in my opinion. for me the best overall diving is Balicasag island in bohol. i also really liked moalboal cebu before the sardines left. looks like i am leaning toward going to sogod now. i have never been there so it is worth going to checkout and others say the diving is very good.

i have done a few dives out of davao,and have found many lovely sites in the islands opposite and south of davao....i have probably dived 10 sites there...
as with many philippine sites,there are not that many large fish,i mean bigger than 300mm,but there is some great critters and coral/sponges/other life....
balicasag i have also dived a few times and love it...the best diving that i have done around bohol,but have not dived in east bohol

---------- Post Merged at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:54 PM ----------

You should give Davao a try. But as far as I can remember getting a dive boat during weekday is NOT easy!! There is simply NOT enough customers(local or outsider) around. BTW, diving there is a whole day affair as most of the sites are pretty far.
While in Davao, should pop over to Gen San as well.

diving from davao,is usually cheap on the weekend or bloody expensive during the week,as not many people dive then....
but if you stay there and give your phone number,sometimes dives during the week come up.
i recommend carabao dive center...
often had bad vissability there and sometimes lots of rubbish,but some great critters,muck diving....star-gazers,sea-hares,nudi's,etc...
general santos i have been there a couple of times with some nice sites....about a 4hour bus ride from davao...theres an english guy there thats been there for a few years,i think cambridge hotel?????

---------- Post Merged at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:54 PM ----------

If you're still in Cebu give Camotes a try. Take the ferry out of Danao about an hour north of the city. Look for Ocean Deep divers at Mangodlong Paradise Resort, they are the only shop on the island. Cheap, quiet, good food...

i did some diving in camotes....not that fantastic,but like any-where you have not dived,it is interesting,with always something new...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom