After the laughter...answer the question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wendy once bubbled...
Are you putting them on yur primary and backup regs? The reason I ask is that I dive with a buddy that has a secure and I can't breathe from her reg with teh secure on it when we do OOA drills. Her jaw is longer than mine and her mouth piece won't fit my mouth, its a terrible experience for me ...snip

Wendy,
The length thing is easy to solve. Lots of people get a gag reflex from the standard Secure mouthpiece.

Simply trim the rear portion of the mouthpiece off until it does not bother you or your buddy. I always had to trim my sports mouthpieces too .... not good to be barfing in the huddle at the 50 yard line.:) I have mine trimmed so they only go to about the second molar and they still work fine for me and anyone i have buddied up with so far.

I've found that most peoples teeth and mouths are close enough so if trimmed properly, the Secures seal up nicely. Like Rich said, a little bit of trimming works for most.

Boogie711 once bubbled...
So if you dive the long-hose, a Seacure may not be the best idea. I donate the primary - my backup is for me.

I have used Seacure's on my donated regulators with multiple buddies and have not had any problems if the mouthpiece is trimmed back. It might not be as comfortable for the reciever as a regular mouthpiece but in my experience they seal up and function as needed.

Your missing the boat on a great product if you don't get one. What do you have to lose ... you can always put the thing on the regulator you don't donate.

I recently put a Seacure on my primary second. The difference from my regular mouthpiece was like night and day! I can actually relax my jaw now while breathing through it. Yes, I did have to trim it quite a bit to stop the 'gag factor' from kicking in. All in all about a half hour job. I highly recommend this mouthpiece!

I'd say the last step would be to find a new LDS, they should be there to help you no matter where you bought the equipment from, especially if you got that good of a deal, I mean, seriously, I could change a mouthpiece in 5 minutes, it makes you happy and I have a better chance of seeing you in my store again, if I'm pissed off all the time and you don't want to come to the store it makes it damn difficult to sell you anything, just poor business practice if you ask me.

Just my $.02

Ben

Ive been looking at getting a Seacure or something similar, like the mares JAX mouthpeice.

Iwouldnt be getting one for my occy though, mainly because ill be doing a lot of training soon.

I love the Seacure and I definitely recommend trimming the ends back quite a bit. Mine is trimmed back to be in front of my molars and it has no trouble staying in place.

By the way, anyone have any experience with other aftermarket mouthpieces they like?

When I played football I had to cut my mouthpiece and I had to cut allot from the SeaCure as well. Only problem I had was getting the mouthpiece onto my my Zeagle second stage. I was sure to get the right size but it took allot of pulling and stretching and infact my hands were sore after I finally got it on. I think I even heated the place where it connects to the mouthpiece to get it on.

I've put the Seacure mouth pieces on my Mares Rebel, Legend LX, and Zeagle ZX seconds and find it helps to dip the base of the Seacure in water and twist the mouthpiece as I am putting it on the regulator.

yea, I trim the back sides off a lot. I used JB's reg the other day and had to hack them off with my dive knife in the water.

Hope he doesn't notice...

You can donate okay, I think one issue is that if you have to hold the reg against their face/ lips in an unconscious victim, the phlanges don't flatten out as well....

I don't worry too much about that because if that happens you are more than likely already screwed. I just started using a soft clear mouthpeice (forget the name, SEANMF gave it to me) because I am a gagger on that hard plastic of the Sea Cure. I go through these weird phases where I gag on my toothbrush. Like my tolerance goes down...

We use zip ties.

Back
Top Bottom