Age Discrimination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is a question about how many lives would actually be saved by not letting them dive. Who is to say that a diver who dies of heart issues on an easy dive would not have dived in his/her sleep anyway. Folks drop dead at home, in bed, at a meal, etc. by the thousands every day.

My father died quickly after having a light lunch following a leisurely 9 holds of golf (with a cart).

There is a question about how many lives would actually be saved by not letting them dive. Who is to say that a diver who dies of heart issues on an easy dive would not have dived in his/her sleep anyway. Folks drop dead at home, in bed, at a meal, etc. by the thousands every day.

My father died quickly after having a light lunch following a leisurely 9 holds of golf (with a cart).
Yes. I think of all those years I was single and could've died with a heart attack with no one around. But that's not the only reason I solo dive.

double post.

So, my point in the OP was to inform people of this, in my opinion, stupid rule and maybe vent a bit. I am only 64 so this particular dive op is not a problem for me. My friend is 78, still rows in the Grand Canyon, hikes, golfs etc. and it does affect him.
I am really curious how an exam with my general practitioner, who I don't believe has any dive medicine training, is going to help anybody or anything. One poster even stated his doctor would sign anything he put in front of him. Another thing I would like to note is exactly what layout this doctor's letter should use. Will there be a form to fill in or is it up to the doctor's discretion? As for the dive ops protecting themselves from a lawsuit, I don't think there would be suits as these are foreign countries with virtually no tort system for recovering alleged damages. I always bring my own gear, even when cruise ship diving, so all the dive op is is a way to get to the site and back. Even in America it would be pretty hard to sue the bus driver if you had a heart attack on the bus.
None of us would be too concerned about insta-buddying with a 55 year old diver with 200 dives. How about a 25 year old with 25 dives over the last couple of years? Maybe you see my point.
The posts in this thread DIVING OVER 50 YEARS OLD say it all. Of course we won't be diving with that dive op, or any other dive op, with these ridiculous demands/restrictions. And good luck to the dive ops that do impose these demands. Sooner or later they will realize that while we may be older we also have the cash and time to spend on frivolous things like dive trips to exotic and or far flung destinations.
RichH

@Aguablanco1, good point about having the "cash and time to spend on frivolous things like dive trips...." What is the average age of customers on a $5,000 liveaboard? Do they really want to offend ALL those over-65 customers?

It's been a while since I've taken a charter, but I recall you have to sign a waiver the op provides. The waiver may or may not absolve the op of responsibility, depending on whether it was caused by something a crew member may or may not have done (ie., the DM gave bad advice or administered CPR incorrectly). So, since the waiver is not an automatic way for the op to avoid a lawsuit, why wouldn't the op just include a health clause on the form? Maybe they do? Then age would not be a factor. As mentioned, if someone who is over a certain age has a heart attack underwater (or on board), could a lawsuit against the op be successful (regardless of age)?

Since such a restriction is not an industry standard, I have to wonder if it does not increase the dive op's liability in some cases. If the op sets 70 as it's put-off and a 69 y/o diver dies, will the op be able to defend it setting the 70 y/o standard?

Tom H, That is exactly the point. I just booked 10 dives on 5 different island and guess who didn't get our business? The dive op in question is on Dominica and the likelihood of filing a suit there is virtually nil. Why PO potential customers? Someone mentioned the possible mental anguish for dive op personnel for trying to revive a diver that has died and I don't see that as a valid argument. It is a scenario which I hope none of ever faces, however, it is possible on any dive trip for any number of reasons. It is impossible to prepare for all possible contingencies, since the impossible will eventually happen.
RichH

Someone mentioned the possible mental anguish for dive op personnel for trying to revive a diver that has died and I don't see that as a valid argument.
I have seen similar statements on many SB threads over the years and I have often wondered. Is not this risk just a part of the job so to speak and the reason dive professionals are expected to be rescue and first aid/CPR trained?

Back
Top Bottom