Age-old question: Apex XTX200 or Scubapro MK19(25)EVO/S620Ti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

First, you can’t go wrong with either the Apeks or SP choices you’ve made,

The Apeks XTX200 is actually the reference to the second stage, although in the US market if refers to both stages; normally it is paired with the FSR first stage. This set up compares to ScubaPro’s Mk17 / G260 regulator set up.

It used to be a piston was preferred over a diaphragm first stage for deep diving because the piston allowed greater airflow. This has changed, especially with the Mk19EVO. It use to be (for the most part still is) an environmentally closed diaphragm first stage was preferred over a piston when diving in cold (below ~45F) water because the expanding air going through the first stage didn’t drop in temperature as much or as fast is a piston dig, hence reducing the likely hood of the first stage icing up and allowing free flow. The EVO has significantly improved the performance in cold water allowing the Mk25EVO better stability. I’ve iced dived with a Mk25EVO and Mk17 with no issues, but still prefer an environmentally closed diaphragm..

The biggest difference between a piston versus an environmentally sealed diaphragm, for recreational diving limits, is the sealed reg will keep debris from getting in. With that being stated I’ve serviced several environmentally sealed regs that had salt crystals in the inside primarily because people didn’t rinse their equipment (more accurately didn’t even try to take care of), while I’ve also serviced pistons regs that were rinsed well look rather clean on the inside. Do keep in mind, a diaphragm first stage that is not environmentally sealed will allow water into first stage spring that senses ambient water pressure just like a piston reg; in both style of regs water is not supposed to get into the HP chamber.

The S620Ti second stage will hold up well in cold fresh/salt and warm tropical salt water due the titanium housing/barrel inside the case. Although I am a fan of the G260 and XTX200 second stages, I have found the S620Ti to be a very good second stage and easy to service.

The real question you need to answer is support for the regs. Can you get it serviced or checked locally and in a timely manner or do you have to send it off and wait for a long period of time. I’ve spoken with people who owned a particular brand, but can’t get any local support because no one serviced it or if a problem occurred they spent unnecessary money and time shipping to a far off destination. In addition they lacked the ability to actually speak with someone to answer questions regarding their gear.

I am in favor of a backplate and wing, but have found the Hydros to very comfortable for diving. The only time I didn’t like it was for teaching, primarily because the other divers didn’t have a back inflation and therefore didn’t quite relate when it came to demonstrating skills, although I could make it work; I just prefer to be in the exact same style as my students when teaching in the pool.
They Hydros works well in cold and warm water, whether fresh or salt. I’ve spoken with many people who own one and the vast majority like and enjoy diving with their hydros.

Thank you for your balanced and rational post.

I have been very happy with the MK19EVO and the 620Ti, pretty much the last regulators I will ever need, no problems and parts are easy to get. I recently switched my sidemount setup to MK19EVO's and G260's, also easy to find parts while diving in far off places.
My wife had a problem with her Zeagle F8 this last year when we were in Curacao and no parts were to be found anywhere on the island. While we were searching for her parts I asked about my Deep6 sidemount regulator set and the answer I got was "we've never even heard of those". Hence my switch to ScubaPro.
Unless you are going to bring your own parts and service your own stuff, or only dive in the US, I would stick to something that has parts readily available throughout the world. Just my $0.02

I have been very happy with the MK19EVO and the 620Ti, pretty much the last regulators I will ever need, no problems and parts are easy to get. I recently switched my sidemount setup to MK19EVO's and G260's, also easy to find parts while diving in far off places.
My wife had a problem with her Zeagle F8 this last year when we were in Curacao and no parts were to be found anywhere on the island. While we were searching for her parts I asked about my Deep6 sidemount regulator set and the answer I got was "we've never even heard of those". Hence my switch to ScubaPro.
Unless you are going to bring your own parts and service your own stuff, or only dive in the US, I would stick to something that has parts readily available throughout the world. Just my $0.02
What was the problem with the F8?

I don’t travel with parts, I just bring a complete second regulator.

What was the problem with the F8?

I don’t travel with parts, I just bring a complete second regulator.
She was setting up her rig and it fell over slightly bending the yoke, enough that it wouldn't seal. No yoking around there was zero parts of any kind for a Zeagle, (or Deep6), on the island. She ended up with a junky rental setup for the next 2 weeks and a valuable lesson learned.

She was setting up her rig and it fell over slightly bending the yoke, enough that it wouldn't seal. No yoking around there was zero parts of any kind for a Zeagle, (or Deep6), on the island. She ended up with a junky rental setup for the next 2 weeks and a valuable lesson learned.
Well that could happen with any reg but you’re right do that to an aqualung or scuba pro you’ll be able to find a part easily.

In "general," I'd bring a third regulator as a back up between the two of you regardless of any brand. Yes, Scubapro probably has the largest dealer network worldwide and best access to technicians and parts but it is always good to have your own back up. I usually travel with two regulators, Scubapro and Atomic, and not have to worry about renting or borrowing. I'd go with the Scubapro MK25EVO/S620Ti (or MK19) if I were in your place.

P.S. The F8 is a fantastic regulator but it isn't getting the recognition it deserves.

In "general," I'd bring a third regulator as a back up between the two of you regardless of any brand. Yes, Scubapro probably has the largest dealer network worldwide and best access to technicians and parts but it is always good to have your own back up. I usually travel with two regulators, Scubapro and Atomic, and not have to worry about renting or borrowing. I'd go with the Scubapro MK25EVO/S620Ti (or MK19) if were in your place.

P.S. The F8 is a fantastic regulator but it isn't getting the recognition it deserves.
I'm in the process now of changing my stage and decompression regulators over to ScubaPro. After I'm done we could always put together a setup for her if needed. I can't talk her out of the F8, she loves them and won't give them up.

I can't talk her out of the F8, she loves them and won't give them up.

Don't, just have a spare one for her :) It is really a great regulator.

This is among the reasons why I am slowly dumping everything not-Scubapro. And I cannot apologise for it. I am trying to standardize on regulators that all use the same service kits and can share parts. The yoke assembly and Universal DIN kit for Scubapro fits most of their products going backwards. And a Mark 2 Evo is possibly the most reliable regulator ever made and the Mark 11/17/19/25 are superb in their own. And a 109/G250/G260 all use the same second stage basic service parts.

My wife does not know it yet as she has a new Core Supreme and I just serviced her first generation Legend but she has a G250 and Mark 2 Evo in her future to match mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom