Agencies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chffn1975

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Let me ask you all this. As a diver with a recently broken "bubble" can anyone tell me a little bit about the differences in the agencies. By this I mean style (teaching and diving), Philosophies, how long they have been around. Just curious about a little bachground.

Also (not that I am considering this) do people switch between agencies as they progress through the ranks ie. ow aow etc.

Here we go...

:popcorn:

Let me ask you all this. As a diver with a recently broken "bubble" can anyone tell me a little bit about the differences in the agencies. By this I mean style (teaching and diving), Philosophies, how long they have been around. Just curious about a little bachground.

Also (not that I am considering this) do people switch between agencies as they progress through the ranks ie. ow aow etc.

Most agencies tend to teach about the same material. The major difference is in how they teach it, and what they emphasize. I'll discuss just the ones I'm most familiar with.

PADI is by far the largest agency. PADI's curriculum is fairly structured ... module "B" follows module "A", and so on. There's some room for the instructor to add content, but he or she cannot fail a student if the student meets the PADI mandated requirements but does nor perform the added stuff to the instructor's satisfaction.

NAUI is a much smaller agency, although generally considered in the mainstream. Their student materials are similar to PADI's in terms of quality and presentation, but their teaching philosophy is different. NAUI uses a concept they call "freedom to teach", which means they give their instructors a set of "minimum" guidelines, and allow them to add content or rearrange the order of teaching modules as they see fit. The reasoning is that local conditions are going to call for differences in what is taught ... and how it is taught ... and that the local instructor knows best what the needs of the students will be.

Both teaching styles have advantages and drawbacks, and by far those are outweighed by the quality of your instructor and how much effort you are willing to put into the class.

Another difference is in how they emphasize the topics. PADI tends to focus on the mechanics (how) of diving skills, while NAUI tends to focus on the philosophy (why) of diving skills. Again, both approaches offer advantages and drawbacks, depending on how they're presented.

The YMCA's YScuba program is generally more comprehensive than either PADI or NAUI ... in part because it offers more class time and more pool time for the basic OW class. However, a lot of that time is spent on swimming and skin diving skills ... which many mainstream agencies currently feel aren't as necessary for diving as they once were considered to be. In many respects, the YScuba program tends to be "old school".

Of the three, the YMCA program is the oldest ... followed by NAUI ... followed by PADI. However, that's rather irrelevent, as they have all been around for a long time.

There are several other agencies out there that one can consider "mainstream" ... hopefully others will discuss them without too much rancor or poking at the other guys.

As to your last question ... it's common for recreational-level divers to take classes from more than one agency. I started out with the YMCA for OW, AOW, and Rescue ... then switched over to NAUI. I have also taken classes with a few other agencies. They all offer something of value, assuming you take them with a competent instructor.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Out of interest, does anyone have stats on certifications by the major agencies? Anecdotally I think everyone agrees that PADI must be the largest, but just on C-Cards that I happen to see, I think of SSI as the next largest (but with a big gap). I would guess that I probably see more BSAC cards in this part of the world than NAUI (although I appreciate that in the British Caribbean, that is probably not a shock). But it would be interesting to know the worldwide picture.

Oh boy, buckle up! You have opened Pandora's Box!

Not sure what bubble was broken, but don't let a bad experience with an instructor or dive shop turn you away from an agency. I personally don't think there are any bad ones but I will let others go into specifics.

As for your last question, it is quite common for serious divers to cross agencies for one reason or another. Personally, I am climbing the PADI ranks as that is where I started, but also taking an SDI class this year, mostly as I am very interested in taking a wreck class from a legend, and that is who he teaches for. Sometime in the future I plan on taking GUE's Fundamentals, I find some of the DIR philosophy intriguing and can think of no better way to learn more about it. My "local" shop now that my old one closed is a NAUI shop, so I may see what they have to offer.

Eventually, as in years down the road, I plan on having an instructor rating in many agencies, so as to be more valuable to dive operations in the Islands when I retire and can afford to make a living as a dive bum.

Bottom line is take as many classes from as many agencies as you feel will help you become a better, safer, more fun diver.

There are two major viewpoints on teaching diving.

Viewpoint 1.

Diving is fun and easy. It is possible to make the course easy as well if we eliminate skills that might possibly frighten anyone on their first day of class. If too many skills are included it results in task loading which will interfere with a student learning necessary tasks and make them an unsafe diver.

Viewpoint 2.

Diving is fun and easy. It is possible to make the course easy as well if we begin with simple skills and allow plenty of practice time on each skill. Once a simple skill is mastered, other elements are added to the skill allowing plenty of time to practice each element. When those added elements are mastered, still more elements are added in the same manner. By approaching skill development in this manner we are able to teach quite complex skills in a manner that makes it easy for students. Skills that might seem frightening to a student on the first day of class are a logical and easy progression by the time those skills are presented in class. This gives a student confidence and the ability to solve problems without panic.

Some agencies use viewpoint 1, others use viewpoint 2. There are some which fall somewhere in between. There are more than 2 agencies. Most divers are PADI certified. PADI is the largest agency by far. PADI follows viewpoint 1. YMCA follows viewpoint 2.

I would guess that I probably see more BSAC cards in this part of the world than NAUI (although I appreciate that in the British Caribbean, that is probably not a shock). But it would be interesting to know the worldwide picture.

Oddly enough its similar here.
Although anywhere ive been or dived in the world ive yet to meet a NAUI diver or instructor. Loads of PADI though.

Agencies spread and popularity definitely depends on geography. The same agencies big in america aren't necessarily as big in Europe and vice-versa. Id never heard of YMCA until i found this board (other than the village people song) and assume they dont operate outside the USA at all.

Id recommend people train with as many agencies and instructors as possible.

NWGratefulDiver...that was one of the best comments I've ever seen on this topic before, you delivered factual info in a fair and unbasied manner.

As far as distribution of divers, the most common agency is PADI. By a lot. Next is SSI, followed by NAUI. I've seen a few (like less than 1 per year) of YMCA, BSAC and never met a diver who was certified with PDIC, SDI, TDI. That distribution held for both the Caribbean and Hawaii.

There are two major viewpoints on teaching diving.

Viewpoint 1.

Diving is fun and easy. It is possible to make the course easy as well if we eliminate skills that might possibly frighten anyone on their first day of class. If too many skills are included it results in task loading which will interfere with a student learning necessary tasks and make them an unsafe diver.

Viewpoint 2.

Diving is fun and easy. It is possible to make the course easy as well if we begin with simple skills and allow plenty of practice time on each skill. Once a simple skill is mastered, other elements are added to the skill allowing plenty of time to practice each element. When those added elements are mastered, still more elements are added in the same manner. By approaching skill development in this manner we are able to teach quite complex skills in a manner that makes it easy for students. Skills that might seem frightening to a student on the first day of class are a logical and easy progression by the time those skills are presented in class. This gives a student confidence and the ability to solve problems without panic.

Some agencies use viewpoint 1, others use viewpoint 2. There are some which fall somewhere in between. There are more than 2 agencies. Most divers are PADI certified. PADI is the largest agency by far. PADI follows viewpoint 1. YMCA follows viewpoint 2.

Which is why you won't see a PADI OW class do a doff and don at the bottom of the pool. In that ALL gear is removed save swimsuit(in some cases this is an eye saving thing) and boots if worn. Then the student surfaces and within 30 seconds executes a dive, recovers the reg and proceeds to put all gear back on. This is usually done by pool session number three or four. First session yes is spent on swimming and skin diving skills exclusively and some may need this for the first 2 sessions. But it works in getting them comfortable as well as making sure they are in good enough shape to dive and will be safe around the water in general. We also do a bc musical chairs where students and an instructor remove bc and place them on the bottom 10 or more feet apart and on a given signal everyone moves to the next gear setup. We do this a few times and then at a thumbs up we put on whatever gear we happen to be on and execute a safe ascent. The confidence that these exercises impart on students is amazing. They teach decision making, how to deal with increased task loading, and making good choices. We have the freedom as Y instructors to challenge our students and build their skills and confidence before issuing a card. You don't get a card by swiping another.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom