Agency comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're taking the class to learn more about diving, Master Diver is the class to take.

Yep. I agree.

NAUI Master Diver Course is one of the best deals in the business - especially if you take the course from a Tech qualified instructor.

I just want to toss the YMCA cert into the discussion. They ARE the original certifying agency in the country, and many Y's do offer classes that adhere to the highest standards of safety and instruction for a most reasonable cost.

My basic OW class took 10 weeks of 1.5 hour class sessions, each followed by another 1.5 hours in the pool. That's 15 hours of class and 15 hours in the water. On the other hand it was too physically demanding for my wife and she never finished the class. But later that year I got her into a PADI intro class at a Caribbean resort and after 2 hours in the pool she was 40 feet deep on a reef!

So different strokes, I guess! Her overall assessment would likely be that had she only had the YMCA experience she would likely never want to dive again; but having experienced some of the beauty and excitement in the ocean she would definately consider more training!

On the other hand, the 2 hour PADI resort "class" never mentioned a back somersault entry, and had she not practised the maneuver dozens of times in the YMCA pool she would likely have crawled right back in the boat after the DM picked her fins up and she rolled backwards over the gunwhale. The other "students" were not quite so prepared and spent quite awhile composing themselves on the down line!

avpro4:
I just want to toss the YMCA cert into the discussion. They ARE the original certifying agency in the country

Well, LA County is older by about 5 years. YMCA was the first nationwide agency.

avpro4:
My basic OW class took 10 weeks of 1.5 hour class sessions, each followed by another 1.5 hours in the pool. That's 15 hours of class and 15 hours in the water.

A little short of what I plan.

avpro4:
On the other hand it was too physically demanding for my wife and she never finished the class. But later that year I got her into a PADI intro class at a Caribbean resort and after 2 hours in the pool she was 40 feet deep on a reef!

So different strokes, I guess! Her overall assessment would likely be that had she only had the YMCA experience she would likely never want to dive again; but having experienced some of the beauty and excitement in the ocean she would definately consider more training!

Sounds like your instructor wasn't ideal. All the Y skills are easy, if presented correctly.

avpro4:
On the other hand, the 2 hour PADI resort "class" never mentioned a back somersault entry, and had she not practised the maneuver dozens of times in the YMCA pool she would likely have crawled right back in the boat after the DM picked her fins up and she rolled backwards over the gunwhale. The other "students" were not quite so prepared and spent quite awhile composing themselves on the down line!

Now, that is scary. There's no excuse for having a student to a back roll (or any other entry) without first teaching it.

www.scubamazing.com:
It seems most people feel:
  • Padi is focused on activites that will teach students, but cost them more money too.
  • Other Agencies just want to make sure the students obtain necessary skills.

Am I interpreting this correctly?

You are interpreting it correctly - but whether or not the underlying assumption is true or not, is a different story.

I find it really hearwarming (all the way down to the cockles, and even sub-cockles, of my heart, to quot Dennis Leary) to learn that all these other agencies are such generous, giving, caring organizations. Their members should be beatified instantly!

Vandit

cinder4320:
We did not do six specific dives for our advanced (night,nav,s&r,deep,wreck), only five. I completed many more than five dives during the trip though.

Opps...I was wrong. One of the dives counted as our underwater naturalist dive. Since there weren't specific tasks I did not realize that. We did have a discussion about fish types, etc. onboard but since I have college level Ichthyology classes I didn't realize it was supposed to be the naturalist part.

Anyways as I said before this was a liveaboard class so during the week I got advanced certified I completed 14 dives total. They just weren't all structured, etc.

Personally I felt that the advanced certification is simply neccessary to move on in the diving world. True advanced status comes from diving more NOT from some C-card. I learned a lot during the week because I completed 14 more dives not because I took some class. I would feel just as competent without the class but with the dives. I only wanted to state that I've used both PADI and NAUI and with both you can obvisously have minimal classroom/dive time. I always hear that PADI standards mean nothing and wanted to say that it isn't the agency but the diver and instructor that make this true.

Also I went to NAUI's site and see nothing about taking an exam. I looked at some dive shops who offer NAUI advanced and they also never mention it. Everyone says 6 dives (deep, nav, night, and three others). So I don't think my instructor violated standards.

Miranda

"There is a lot more knowledge gained in the Master Diver course than in Divemaster. Physics, Physiology, etc. Also Hands on stuff like shooting lift bags and simulated deco (at least with the shop I work with, we train above standards). " Huhh?

Correct me if I am wrong, I know that in at least 2 agencies Master Diver is an introductory step involving 1 classroom and 1 dive of 4-6 different specialty options. If you take the full 4-6 specialties (it changes a little between agencies) you are eligible to apply for your Advanced Diver Certification and generlayy it's only another certification card.

Dive Master, on the other hand, is the first level of professional dive leader and requires more in depth study in ethics, leadership, physics, phsyiology, equipment.... as well as hands on practice, open water and pool training, than are required or offered at the specialty, master diver or advanced diver level.

Aren't these the people watching for our butts when we attend an organized dive?

Sue

The NAUI Master Diver Course has 23 hours of academics, A minimum of 8 Open Water Dives, 5 requiired ( Emergency Proceedures and Rescue, Deep/Simulated Decompression Diving, Limited Vis or Night Diving, Undewater Navigation, Search and Recovery Light Salvage) and 3 elective dives.
It can include Projects. There are skill requirements that shall be performed at a level significantly higher than expected of divers at previous levels. I was a SSI Master Diver. There is a lot more learning in the NAUI Course. The Academics include Applied Sciences,Diving Equipment, Diving Risks, Diving Environment, Underwater Navigation, Limited Visibility Diving, Search and Recovery, Light Salvage, and Deep and Simulated Decompression Diving.

The NAUI Divemaster course has some of these but is geared more toward leading dives and assisting Instructors. It has 20 hours of academics and 10 hours in the water. 10 Open Water Dives are required. involving on-site instruction.

I'd list more but I'm tired of typing eyebrow

Walter:
Any comparison will be considered bashing by some.

Comparisons are very difficult to make for several reasons. First, it's difficult to obtain actual copies of standards of most agencies. Second, it is a very time consuming process. Third, each agency writes its standards in a different format. At least one is written in a way to make it difficult to ascertain exactly what the standards say. Fourth, different agencies use different terms to describe the exact same thing.

Here's a comparison I made several years ago.

Walter, Thats a nice Comparison you put together. Thanks

My instructor teaches YMCA, NAUI and PADI along with AOW to every student whether they like it or not and we can get cards any any or all. It all blended together into one big class with a lot of requirements. Having them broke out really allowed me to see the slight distinctions between organizations. Doing my PADI DM has also allowed me to see the PADI distinctions and where the others have thier own set of excersises.

We even did excersises in our class that PADI frowns upon like bailouts and gear recovery at depth which I think are valuable lessons and fun to boot!

Scooter

with NAUI? You have to take the Master Diver Test and pass it.

Tavi:
The NAUI Master Diver Course has 23 hours of academics

As stated, it's a great course to take if you don't have plans to go pro, yet want improve your knowledge and skills. I think the old textbook, like the old farts said, used to be titled Mastering Advanced Diving......:wink:

tony

scubatexastony:
with NAUI? You have to take the Master Diver Test and pass it.

As stated, it's a great course to take if you don't have plans to go pro, yet want improve your knowledge and skills. I think the old textbook, like the old farts said, used to be titled Mastering Advanced Diving......:wink:

tony

Yes, I have a copy of that text.

I don't know for sure, but I think the advanced course was dumbed down to have an advanced course similar to the other agencies. Maybe one of the "old farts" knows the history.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom