Aggressive shark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

triggerman365

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm diving along looking for things to photograph about one hour before sun down when I see a 5-6 foot White Tip Reef shark. Awesome, so I get one shot off and he keeps coming, so I smack him in the nose with my camera housing but he keeps coming back three more times. I kept on smacking him in the nose and he finally just circles without approaching. I was then able to slowing back away until he lost interest. My question is how many of you have had a similar experience with an aggressive White Tip? My first experience with having to fend off a shark. Its a good reminder that the ocean is their world.

Last edited:
It sounds like that shark is accustomed to being fed by divers, or in proximity to divers. That would otherwise be unusual behavior for a whitetip reef shark.

It could be that he is conditioned to come at the spear fishermen. The area I was diving is a very popular spear fishing site, but I was not spearing and I did not see other out at the time.

What was his body language like? Fins down? Quick movements or cruising speed? Etc...

Not an OWT, just a plain old reef whitetip. I look up and saw him and he swam directly toward me. I thought, wow I'm going to get some great shots but I got off one and then instead of pics I was using my housing for a weapon, ugh. Here is the one pic I got. By the way, this is at Obyan Beach, Saipan. The shot is not the best, I had my strobe power turned down and my camera on manual setting, so this is all I got. ObyanWhitetip.jpg

Hmmm bizarre. Not that I'm any expert but surprising to hear of an aggressive white tip reef shark. Have heard of them nipping but that was in some of the feeding frenzy night dives at Cocos.<br><br>Perhaps indeed used to getting hand outs and you simply hadn't got the goods! Sounds like fun in any event :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom