Myth or Fact? Sharks are attracted to WHITE dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I'll be there in May and my fins are white. What's the story on this? The links you posted here are about diving with whale sharks....
From what I understand, you will be hard-pressed to find a dive outfitter allowing you to wear *any* white-colored gear on any type of shark dive.

When I was at Nassau in June, several of the DMs at Start Cove’s wore white fins, in spite of the fact that virtually every dive down there was a de facto shark dive. Photo below is of DM Fannie… she looks pretty relaxed if there’s evidence of white fin danger!
I wore my new “Yum Yum Yellow” fins and there was no complaint from the DMs and no undo interest from the multiple sharks I encountered. It would appear to me that the best current research doesn’t suggest any correlation between fin color and shark attacks.
🐸

Attachments

• MICR0111.jpeg
    MICR0111.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 39
This video seems to suggest that oceanic white tips are attracted to the bright orange colors of the DSMB or the fluorescent Orange fins more than other sharks. Two sharks circle in to take down two DSMBs during the groups safety stop on this dive… watch the first minute for the intro then skip straight to 04:30.

This video seems to suggest that oceanic white tips are attracted to the bright orange colors of the DSMB or the fluorescent Orange fins more than other sharks. Two sharks circle in to take down two DSMBs during the groups safety stop on this dive… watch the first minute for the intro then skip straight to 04:30.

i'm still wearing my orange gorillas.

If this was true I would have changed out all my gear to white or bought a white wet suit. decades ago LOL

I had a DSMB almost attacked at The Brothers. It was one of the the highlights of a very sharky week. If the the shark had made contact with it, I would have stuck it in a frame afterwards! I think about things a bit differently now. Anyway, a DSMB rushing towards the surface certainly does seem to trigger predatory instincts. My feeling is that colour is secondary.

The Dolphin Dream out of Palm Beach has very specific requirements for diving with the Tiger Sharks and Great Hammerheads
1712697234234.png

This was a really great trip

Speaking of Oceanic Whitetip, here’s my experience with them in Elphinstone:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom