Myth or Fact? Sharks are attracted to WHITE dive gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a recent Discovery Channel shark week episode that addressed this issue, and featured shark experts and a video purporting to show what the ocean looks like to a (colorblind) shark. In any event, similar to what drrich2 relates, the conclusion was that high contrast colors, specifically yellow and white, might attract a shark. But they didn't think it was a major concern.

I suppose that you would rather privatize every government service and let capitalist monopolies set the price tag?

Um , context kinda matters here.

I don’t think sea_jay was talking about actual taxes…I think (s)he meant that sharks will tax your catch. We refer to sharks as the taxman around here.

I run black and white fin (black foot pocket and white blade) - I suppose that is the worst…
I like sharks. During my encounters with them, they did not seem a bit interested in my fins.

@Dan has been out with Dolphin Dream twice, I have been out once for Tiger Sharks and Great Hammerheads in the Bahamas. Dolphin Dream required all dark equipment, including head covering and gloves. I think Capt Scott has a fair amount of experience.

My very competent divemaster (dive mistress?) on a dive with Stuart Cove’s, Nassau. This was not a “Shark Experience” dive, but SC was a pioneer in safely attracting sharks, and as far as I know they never had an attack incident. She was not the only member of their staff wearing white fins or white highlights on their dive equipment.
BTW, I was diving my newly purchased “Yum Yum Yellow” fins and nobody said a word about that either. Needless to say, I got undue interest in my fins from the abundant sharks. Go figure. 🤔
🐸

Attachments

• MICR0111.jpeg
    MICR0111.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 70
I have black fins and a white mask, so:

a. They cancel each other out or

b. It's even more interesting for sharks because i look like an Oreo

Do we have a marine biologist here?

I have black fins and a white mask, so:

a. They cancel each other out or

b. It's even more interesting for sharks because i look like an Oreo

Do we have a marine biologist here?

If you do Shark diving in Tiger Beach with such mask, Dolphin Dream would loan you a black mask to avoid this situation:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom