"Air is for tires" :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ONESPEED:
Waste money? How exactly is Nitrox a waste of money?

My LDS charges $4 for an air fill and $10 for a nitrox fill. If I'm diving Venice Beach (15 - 20 ft) or Marvel's Side Yard (10 - 15 ft), I get no benefit from diving nitrox, so every nitrox fill is a waste of $6. When I'm diving to the Ancient Mariner, I get additional bottom time by using nitrox, so the extra $6 is well spent. When I get fills at Fill Express, the cost to me is the same for nitrox or air, so it's never a waste of money when I can get fills there (not often).

Unless you are GUE of cause - then air is for strokes and you SHALL NOT DIVE with anything other than a nitrox fill - even to 10 metres max depth. Even most GUE guys ignore this rule though and break the holistic "all GUE rules are santoscant" approach to diving.

Please explain to me where this came from -- GUE was never mentioned, I don't see a point in bringing it up. :shakehead: :shakehead:

Personally I took GUE-F last year, and dive air 90% of the time, unless nitrox is cheap and readily available. And by "cheap" it better be free, since I usually get air for free...

I started using geezer gas for beach dives, 36% takes the huffing and puffing out of the sand hikes back to the car. Getting in shape would probably do the same thing, it's on my list of things to do.

I started using geezer gas for beach dives, 36% takes the huffing and puffing out of the sand hikes back to the car. Getting in shape would probably do the same thing, it's on my list of things to do.

Use tri mix, the helium will lighten your tanks.

No it doesn't, you just think it does.:wink:

Try it, it does make a difference when your humping a 130 out of the water and across the beach.

I usually use air for beach dives but my tank was in for hydro so I used one of my AL 80 nitrox tanks. I got out of the water started across the beach and started breathing heavy going up the beach erosion. I thought, wait a minute, I'm breathing hard because I need more O2 in my system, I've got it on my back. I switched to my regulator and wasn't breathing hard when I got to the car like I usually am. I tried it the next day climbing out of the water and up the bank, big difference, no huffing and puffing.

I picture a few years from now struggling out of the water with my green O2 tank and walker. Don't give up diving, just up the O2 a few % every year.

I like using nitrox for altitude dives, especially when I have to hike up the hill to the upper parking lot by rubicon wall. Yes I will breathe from the reg along the way and it does help.
All the dives we did this past weekend using 80cf cyl. I didn't see a benefit, the deep dives were limited by the cyl. volume not the O2 content. and the shallow dives were limited by the boats 60 min. time limit. So why would I pay extra for nitrox?

Nitrox makes your balls shrink, and your hairs fall off. That's why you see so many bald headed man diving nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom