"Air is for tires" :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tep

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Finished my Nitrox course this afternoon, except for the dives. I guess I'm 1/4 of the way to SSI AOW :)

Thanks to Chip and all the folks at SDUA Home Page for the great class...

Now if I could just get into the water more, I could get to 100 dives before the end of the year. For SoCal people, the conditions at La Jolla cove were amazing last week. Glassy, no surf, and 15-20' viz (if not better) as well as high water temps. Warm enough to dive without hood or gloves. A few more afternoons like that...

And folks who don't want to waste money on nitrox?

Air isn't even for tires anymore, apparently. I've read the latest fad is to pump your tires full of pure nitrogen!

Finished my Nitrox course this afternoon, except for the dives. I guess I'm 1/4 of the way to SSI AOW :)
SSI still requires dives for their Nitrox card? I had to do two for mine back when and it seemed pretty pointless then, but ok.

Nitrox is a valuable tool when indicated: square profile dives below 60-80 feet, multiple dives on consecutive days, but not always worth the extra, in fact - not always available. It's great you're getting the card so you can use it when indicated, but don't feel obligated.

I've got the card (when you actually had to do 2 dives and I didn't combine it with any other speciality), but haven't dived Nitrox for a couple of years. I might on my next trip, just to remind myself of what is required.

Waste money? How exactly is Nitrox a waste of money? :huh:

In some places it costs more than air. If you are doing a couple of shallow dives and are limited by your tank capacity/heat loss ability rather than NDL's.... it's possible the extra for a nitrox fill is not worth it.

Unless you are GUE of cause - then air is for strokes and you SHALL NOT DIVE with anything other than a nitrox fill - even to 10 metres max depth. Even most GUE guys ignore this rule though and break the holistic "all GUE rules are santoscant" approach to diving.

Then nitrox isn't a waste of money but diving it to 30' is. Actually some will say that it just makes them feel better diving nitrox all the time. Personally I can't tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom