Air2 nipple too large

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The difference is intentional. A regular LPI hose does not deliver enough air for a regulator.

What is the pressure drop across a conventional fitting vs the Scubapro fitting at the rate of air flow deemed standard for delivery through a second stage? Would be interesting to hear the support for this statement.

Jorgy:
is it the hose itself or the connector?

I don't know.

Indian Valley:
What is the pressure drop across a conventional fitting vs the Scubapro fitting at the rate of air flow deemed standard for delivery through a second stage? Would be interesting to hear the support for this statement.

I don't have the data, but there's an easy experiment you can do. Take two identical BCs, one with a regular LPI and one with an Air II. Hook them up to identical tanks filled to identical pressures with identical regulators. One of the regs will, of course, have the Air II hose and connector. Fill both BCs with air as fast as you can. Use a stop watch to see how quickly they fill from completely empty until the over pressure valve starts to release air. Do it several times just to make sure once wasn't a fluke. Tell us what you find.

I can confirm the AIR2 fills a BCD a LOT faster than a conventional inflator; the difference is so big I thought the standard inflator were defective last time I dived a rental BCD.

Walter, the question wasn't whether it was faster or not, rather, I was responding to the fact you stated, that "A regular LPI hose does not deliver enough air for a regulator."

In a never-ending quest to cut through myths and errors in diver knowledge, I'm just wondering where this data came from. If we can back it up then that is great and I'd love to repeat that statement. So please share where you found that.

So here is a data point for folks. I recently came across a hose for an Atomic SS1. The hose is Atomics standard hose used on their regulators which the adaptor for the SS1 screws into. So at least for Atomic they use one hose whether for standard reg or SS1. Now folks can argue whether the diameter of Atomic hoses are larger than a standard hose or not.

The hose itself probably supplies plenty of gas but the schrader valve on the end and the regular BC nipple will be the restrictions......wheather this is too little probably depends on the depth and the demand.

Yes, it is the connector not the hose that is the limiting factor for integrated inflator octos.

Yes, it is the connector not the hose that is the limiting factor for integrated inflator octos.

And somewhat of a danger if used on a 2nd stage since the schradder valve is somewhat vulnerable and is an upstream valve. Good with tires where you want to keep air in. Not too bad with a conventional BCD where you have manual inflation. a possible problem if you need to breath through it.

Looks like this thread has morphed into a technical conversation with Delta’s be tossed about. I just wanted to say thank you once again for all of the help and to let you know I called the dive shop and they apologized for not changing out the hose. I was in and out of the shop in less than five minutes.

Indian Valley:
In a never-ending quest to cut through myths and errors in diver knowledge, I'm just wondering where this data came from. If we can back it up then that is great and I'd love to repeat that statement. So please share where you found that.

Maybe you missed my reply, I don't have the data on flow rates. I'm sure Scubapro will be happy to provide it to you if you are interested enough to ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom