AIR2 or similar, whats your experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been a fan of the octo-inflator since my 10th dive (when I bought my own gear). I loved the lack of clutter the extra hose and octo cause. But have recently changed to a conventional set up, and bought 4 new Octo's for my regs. Why?

1. Every time I travel, I need to take my BC as well since the connectors won't fit a hired BC, and this is sometimes a pain if it is not a dedicated dive trip. Had I had a conventional Octo it would have been easy to just change the hoses, but I didn't.

2. In all my training, and practice it seemed easy, and was, to donate the primary, and breath the octo-inflator. Recently on a particularly stressfull dive with a wayward instabuddy, behaving badly, when he actually ran out of air (the cherry on top), it stressed me even more to donate the primary. Probably if I felt more in controll it would have been OK, but I wasn't and the additional stress of instantly giving up my air without some preparation and thought was unpleasant. What seems logical and easy in a training situation, often isn't in the real situation. That glib statement "donate primary" may be fine if you are calm and in control, but that's not when you get tested!

I can see both sides of the argument, but for me in an emergency I prefer not giving up my air.
As for the long hose thing, I think it's a case of horses for courses, if you are going into caves, and other confined spaces, it's probably mandatory, but for your average vacation dive on a pretty reef, totally unnecessary.

I have had 2 Octo-inflators an Apex for about 15 years, and a Sherwood Gemini for about 2 years, both perfectly adequate breathers, but are now on the shelf. In practice both worked perfectly, I breathed form them for a few minutes on every dive, and they were every bit as good as my primary.

krillo, hopefully a slightly different tack on the issue, to help you decide which way to go.

Note on the fittings ... there is an adapter to convert the large AIR2 fitting on your reg hose to a smaller one that a conventional BC has , I have one just because. (you could also switch the fitting with the other regs BC hose fitting)
Although .. your now going to need a conventional secondary air source that you lost by not having your BC
and if you need to convert a conventional regulator to your AIR2 BC , just use your hose, or it's fitting

Have you ever breathed off of it, while ascending from depth, with another (out of air) diver in your face, while venting?

Just wondering...

:cool2:

Yes I use an Air2 and have ascended from depth using my Air2 and the OOA diver uses my primary. I have done so when the OOA diver snatches my primary without it being given. Like a bungeed alternate I always know where my safe second is. I use my drysuit for bouyancy and I found in that sitaution I could vent my suit as needed and the other diver's bouynacy until panic had cleared.

The long hose configuration is intended for diving in overhead envirnoments, it allows divers sharing air to follow each other in cramped space to safety. If you have to go through something single file you want to donate a 7' hose. If you are diving outside of caves and wrecks all the time and not inside you use a 7' hose not because it is best, required but because you dive a philospohy and training approach for people that do dive overhead envirnoments and wish to emulate them.

Hi!

I have seen several people now saying that their purchase of an AIR2 or OCTO-Z has been a let down. Complaining how hard it is to breathe with them, badly fitting mouth piece etc.
Anyone who wants to share some experience about AIR2, OCTO-Z etc....

I started out with an octo attached with a connector, then switched to an AIR2 (Atomic Aquatics SS1) when I added a small (13cf) pony to my rig. I tranferred my octo 2nd stage to my pony bottle. I was leary originally about going with an AIR2 in case of an OOA situation, but 95% of the time I have my pony with me so my plan will be to donate my primary and breath off of my pony. My pony octo is bungied around my neck. Consequently my SS1 is more-or-less a tertiary backup. I like my setup. I wouldn't recommend my configuration to a new diver, but it works for me.

I have to admit that I don't regularly practice OOA, but on almost every dive I spend some time breathing off both of my SS1 reg and my pony octo. Yes both of these (even the SS1) are harder to breath off of than my primary (Atomic Aquatics M1).

I started out with an octo attached with a connector, then switched to an AIR2 (Atomic Aquatics SS1) when I added a small (13cf) pony to my rig. I tranferred my octo 2nd stage to my pony bottle. I was leary originally about going with an AIR2 in case of an OOA situation, but 95% of the time I have my pony with me so my plan will be to donate my primary and breath off of my pony. My pony octo is bungied around my neck. Consequently my SS1 is more-or-less a tertiary backup. I like my setup. I wouldn't recommend my configuration to a new diver, but it works for me.

Sometimes when I feel ornery, I'd change the reg configuration to medium long hose/short hose AND SS1.

JB:
I have been a fan of the octo-inflator since my 10th dive (when I bought my own gear). I loved the lack of clutter the extra hose and octo cause. But have recently changed to a conventional set up, and bought 4 new Octo's for my regs. Why?
Four?

JB:
1. Every time I travel, I need to take my BC as well since the connectors won't fit a hired BC, and this is sometimes a pain if it is not a dedicated dive trip. Had I had a conventional Octo it would have been easy to just change the hoses, but I didn't.
I guess this isn't a problem for me... I *always* take both my BC and my regs AND my pony bottle. I don't always get my pony re-filled in time for my first day of diving, however, so having the AIR-2 on my rig is a good backup.

JB:
2. In all my training, and practice it seemed easy, and was, to donate the primary, and breath the octo-inflator. Recently on a particularly stressfull dive with a wayward instabuddy, behaving badly, when he actually ran out of air (the cherry on top), it stressed me even more to donate the primary. Probably if I felt more in controll it would have been OK, but I wasn't and the additional stress of instantly giving up my air without some preparation and thought was unpleasant. What seems logical and easy in a training situation, often isn't in the real situation. That glib statement "donate primary" may be fine if you are calm and in control, but that's not when you get tested!
Excellent anecdotal experience. Thanks. It IS harder to breath off of any kind of octo or air2. Keeping stress down is always a good thing.

JB:
I can see both sides of the argument, but for me in an emergency I prefer not giving up my air.
:) You should never give up your air :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom