Airport Bags for Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sarita75

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Oh my first dive trip where I haul my gear (rather than to rent) is fast approaching - but not fast enough, in my opinion. I need a bag that will hold two sets of gear, no weights and regs will be carried onboard. I would like something with wheels and fin pockets.

Any ideas, suggestions? Any ones that you would say to stay away from?

(Links are most helpful!)

THANKS a bunch!

In other forums I read that the consensus was to use a regular large suitcase with no indications that its for diving gear. That way it look less conspicuos and does not attract unnecessary attention. Some other recommendations include using a TSA approved padlock and taking the reg as carry-on.

A junior size hockey bag works great although you might not have much of a selection in SF. Just wrap the BCs in your wetsuits and clothing to protect them.

Costco, 40 dollars, rolling duffle "Ricardo" ten year guarantee. I also always take a big hockey sports equipment bag for over flow and dirty clothers. Check Ross or Marshals for good quality cheap ones.

I've had the 400 dollar SP gear bags and I am back to budget bags.

Curious what made you all go back to cheaper bags rather than to use gearbags made specifically for diving?

(a) the cheaper bags are, well, cheaper
(b) the cheaper bags are less likely to get stolen, since they aren't emblazoned with scuba logos that scream "valuable gear inside!"
(c) No matter how sturdy, salt, water, poorly-paid baggage handlers and heavy gear will eventually get the best of your bag. See point (a) for replacements.

I have a big ol' Akona gear bag, which I love. For big boats. I'm pretty sure it's too big to travel with, nor would I want to for the reasons listed above.

Don't forget about the 50lb per bag limit. I had two sets of gear in one bag and had to dispurse it in the check in line. Ended up just puting it in two Mares mesh bags that we use on the boat, just put beach towels around everything and it makes it fine.

I use a computer bag with wheels to hold my bp and wing, masks, computers and couple other small items. Also wear a small back pack with regs, cameras and extra set of shorts and t-shirt.

Only suits and fins go in unscuba marked suitcase.

My wife, daughter, and I put all our dive gear in two Eagle Creek rolling duffels (our regs, as you've already said, go in a carry-on) and we love this configuration. That just fits in the 50 lb weight restrictions on each bag. We put the fins in the bottom to act as another layer of protection. The one we bought isn't made anymore but it looks pretty similar to the Big Rig 30: http://www.eaglecreek.com/bags_luggage/duffels/Big-Rig-30-20147/

The bags are pretty cheap (about $100) and Eagle Creek makes a great bag and has a lifetime guarantee. The wheels are really handy and, being Eagle Creek, still work as great as they ever did. We've gone on a dozen or so dive trips with them and they're just now showing wear (we slid them down a broken escalator on the last trip so that may have something to do with it).

Rather than stuffing all of the gear for 2 people into one bag, and all the clothing into another bag, you may find it better to split it up so that there is gear and clothing in each bag. Then you can use the clothing as packing material.

I also find it better to treat the hauling for gear from home-to-the-hotel and from the hotel-to-boat as two separate tasks, and I use different bags for the two different moves. For the hotel to boat, I wear the BCD and use a small non-wheeled duffle bag for the rest of the gear. The small duffle bag gets stuffed inside the suitcase for the trip from home to the hotel and back, unless I'm overweight. If overweight at the airport, it's a simple matter to stuff some indesctructible items such as fins, wetsuit, and dirty laundry into the duffle bag to get the main bag(s) back beneath the weight allowance.

Charlie Allen

Back
Top Bottom