Gear bag required/recommended for mask, fins and snorkel only?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ckraus

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I've been certified since 1990, but I have only logged less than 50 dives since then for various reason (not because I don't like it). The great news is that I will have a dive buddy in our family soon as our 11-year-old daughter is in the process to get certified. Therefore, I decided to invest in my own equipment by purchasing a mask, fins and a snorkel. My daughter reminded me during her eLearnig lessons, that I need a gear bag.

Do I need/do you recommend a gear back for mask, fins and snorkel? I was planning to carrying my equipment in my regular checked bag, which means a regular dive gear bag is too big (if that is possible).

Thank you,
Chris

Hi Chris,

I only use a gear bag if I’m doing boat dives while on vacation. Otherwise, no bag needed. As for traveling with gear, most everyone I travel with put ours in our carryon bags. My fins are pretty much the only part of my main gear that goes in a checked bag.

Erik

I always advised my students to go to Walmart, Target, etc., and buy a mesh laundry bag. It is probably 1/4 the price of any branded bag from a shop and likely has better material and will last longer.

All you'll need is a mesh bag with a drawstring to carry a mask, fins and snorkel to go back and forth from the dive boat to the hotel. And all that can go in your checked luggage.

My fins com in a nice mesh bag. Snorkel, mask, tools, and towel go in. Then I flip the straps on my Bpw and stuff the fin bag in. A neat back pack.

I use a round reg bag for my regs, defogger, another mask, weight holders. This goes in my carry on.

You don’t need a bag, stick the mask into a foot pocket, let the snorkel dangle or stick it next to the mask and Carly the whole lot by the fin straps.

Mesh bags man from the cheap mesh bag shop man

009.JPG

Speedo and other swimwear companies offer inexpensive drawstring mesh bags with a shoulder strap or backpack straps, sized for snorkel gear rather than a full set of dive gear. They can be had at sporting goods stores, probably Walmart, definitely Amazon. They may not be necessary but can be convenient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom