Al Hornsby Resigns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
You heard it here first:

Al Hornsby:
[FONT=&quot]October 27, 2009 [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Dear DEMA Member:

As you are undoubtedly aware, there is a great deal of antagonism and confusion circulating at this moment regarding a petition that expresses dissatisfaction and alleges wrong-doing against DEMA and the Board of Directors. The central issue is the allegation that the Bylaws Amendment passed by membership vote in 2008 was fraudulent, with the underlying rumor - the motive, if you will - that it was engineered by PADI and me for our benefit.

Unfortunately, the innuendo and paranoia being created have turned what should be a straight-forward debate over whether the Bylaws Amendment is now liked or not, into a directed attack on DEMA's and its Board's integrity and legitimacy. Accusations are flying, at a time when the industry should be focusing on business and the greatest financial challenges in its history. And for DEMA as an organization, its real contributions - like the retailer focused Be A Diver customer acquisition campaign, which has brought our industry ongoing national television advertising for the first time in its history - are being eclipsed by unproductive turmoil.

As the current DEMA Board President and an active DEMA supporter for more than 30 years, including being a part of the original group that formed the new DEMA in the early 1990s, I have a great deal of concern about the situation, and some things to share with you. Please excuse the length of this letter; unfortunately, there's no real way to discuss the issues with generalities or sound-bites. I hope you will take a moment to read it through.

As to the allegations associated with the petition that the Amendment balloting process was fraudulent, that the DEMA Board had refused to meet to discuss the concerns, etc., the memo sent by the DEMA Office on 25 October addresses and documents those issues, so there is no need to reiterate them here (if you have not seen the document, you may go to www.dema.org). However, in case there are still questions as to why the Amendment to eliminate term limits for the people elected to the Board was proposed, there were two reasons: [/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]To correct an inequity in Board representation between large and small dive businesses[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - The term limits prior to the Amendment allowed only two consecutive terms for individual persons serving on the Board. However, it allowed a member company with a representative at the term limit to replace that person with someone else, who could then immediately run in the next election. Companies large enough to have multiple, qualified representatives could continue to be represented on the Board, effectively not having a term limit, continuing their opportunity for contribution and influence.

On the other hand, a retailer, resort operator or other small business, or the one-person DEMA members (consultants, sales reps, etc.), with only one key person qualified and available to serve on the Board, had an absolute two-term limit. Despite the quality of their contributions or how much support for continued service they might have in the industry, they were forced to step down. While this inequity was historical and inadvertent, once it was realized, there was no justification for it to be left in place - it is unfair for term limits to affect different member classes differently. The flawed term limit bylaw deserved to be repaired and the Amendment accomplished that, through a properly conducted ballot. Ironically, the petition originators, while claiming to be supporting retailers, are actually hindering their ability to serve on the DEMA Board, by trying to remove these retailer rights through repealing the amended bylaw.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]To bring continuity to the Board[/FONT][FONT=&quot] - The second purpose was to bring more opportunity for continuity of purpose to the Board. DEMA and other membership associations face difficulties in planning, funding and carrying through long-term efforts, due to ever-changing boards with their ever-new agendas. The Be-A-Diver campaign, which took four and a half years and five different Boards to reach fruition from when Bob Hollis first presented the idea, may be the only one - and it had its challenges, at that. It is simply much more difficult to carry out a project of this magnitude without the continuity of people focused on its completion.

And, while eliminating term limits helps create an opportunity for continuity, remember that Board members don't get to just choose to stay on; they still must get re-elected. The voting members of the industry, no one else, will decide if their efforts have proved valuable enough to keep them for another term.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In this light, the rumor being spread that the Bylaws Amendment was in some way PADI's or my "plot" to dominate the Board ("President for Life" is the buzz phrase being used) hopefully is revealed to be as silly as it really is. PADI's executive staff has a number of individuals who could qualify to be effective Board members, and whom the company would trust. [FONT=&quot]The truth is that the Amendment did [/FONT][FONT=&quot]absolutely nothing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] to PADI's ability to have qualified executives run for and serve on the Board.[/FONT] (And, while gratifying, the hard work of serving on the Board, let alone as Board President, is not a job one would prefer for life.)

Speaking both as someone who has worked hard as a volunteer for DEMA for many years, and for a company that has supported DEMA as much as anyone in the dive industry, for us at PADI to be used as lightning rods for efforts that could damage the Organization and its contribution to the industry is very distressing. It seems obvious that the real issues at hand would be far easier to discuss and resolve without the underlying question of whether or not we are somehow profiting from the Bylaws Amendment, as is being rumored by the petition organizers. We want to do what we can to simply remove that potentially confusing element from the debate. To this end, I have spoken with the DEMA Board, and it has agreed to the following:[/FONT]

1. [FONT=&quot]I am the only person currently on the Board as a result of the Bylaws Amendment, and my re-election last year has been the only effect of its passage. To remove any question as to whether anyone -especially those of us at PADI - has unfairly benefitted from that change, I have tendered my resignation from the Board, effective at the end of the DEMA Membership meeting, at the Show, on 5 November 2009 [/FONT]
  2. [FONT=&quot]DEMA will immediately organize a special election to fill my vacated seat. (By the way, I will not be a surprise candidate.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It is our hope that this series of steps will remove the cloud of confusion that has been created and allow a sane, reasonable discourse toward resolution of the issues, for the betterment of the industry. We do hope you will consider these issues and the important decisions at hand.

It has been an honor to serve you and the industry through my DEMA Board participation these many years. I'll look forward to seeing you at the DEMA Show.

Sincerely,

Al Hornsby
Senior Vice President
PADI Worldwide[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Forward this important message to your colleagues![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This email was sent to netdoc@scubaboard.com by al.hornsby@dema.org.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Email Marketing by[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]DEMA, The Diving Equipment & Marketing Association | 3750 Convoy St., Ste. 310 | San Diego | CA | 92111
[/FONT]
on.jsp

I have to say that I am saddened by this. I only hope that this brings some kind of resolution to the current crisis. I don't think that it will, as Al was never seen as the root problem for DEMA.

FWIW, i asked Al for permission to post this, and then saw his caveat to FORWARD this to as many as possible. I think I have done that for him. Al, don't be silent. We still need leadership.

Still need leadership? Isn't this what you guys wanted? I have been reading page upon page that was basically asking for something just like this. And now you want him to lead you?? Are you serious?

Let me bash everything about you, and your company....then when you decide not to help me and leave...I will apologize and wish you didn't leave.

Yes, DEMA needed change....but to come online and bring all of this dirty laundry HERE to Scubaboard is still a bit weak to me. Yes, people have been trying to change it for some time, but to bring it HERE to SB? Really, a public forum for divers? Maybe that type of attitude is also a contributing factor to the decline of the sport.....

" I will never go to that dive shop again. The clerk answered the phone while I was in the store...how dare he. All of you here on SB should be sure to not shop at shop "X" they are horrible people and should go out of business....death to the LDS, they just want to take my money and tell me lies. And that guy, how dare he try to show me a BC.....I will just go shop online and learn from my computer. That guy, Diver128meup is so smart...he has like 2,421 posts....he will help me"

Have you seen threads like this before? Well you guys have all been participating in one....and you got what you have been asking for.

Mike,

Al was not the problem. He was not the root of the problem. His departure has solved NOTHING. It might have even masked the problem. Time will tell.

I know he wasn't....but would he, or anyone else who has read the pages upon pages on here about this fiasco really think that? Lets be honest, look at the picture that was created in everyone's eyes

I know he wasn't....but would he, or anyone else who has read the pages upon pages on here about this fiasco really think that? Lets be honest, look at the picture that was created in everyone's eyes
"Let's be honest..." So what is your take on this? Who do YOU think is the root problem? Me? Go ahead, I can take it.

Eh, I have never heard of DEMA before this crap started awhile back. I have since only read the Scubaboard banter about its issues and the problems they have (or don't have depending on your opinion).

I never once came to the conclusion that Al was the problem. Not any one person per-se, but more of the oligarchy at the top was my impression.

But hey, I'm not in the industry, just a consumer who's only source of scuba news is the forum, so really I don't know squat about what really is happening. :idk:

"Let's be honest..." So what is your take on this? Who do YOU think is the root problem? Me? Go ahead, I can take it.

You??? NOT AT ALL!!!

Who is to blame? Crumby LDS that led people walk out dissatisfied. Stores that give ALL of the others a bad name. Its the guy in the next town from me that rapes his students and doesn't care if they come back, its the store in kalamazoo that sold Timmy $400 in snorkeling gear that was $300 over MSRP, its an industry that refuses to change, its the shop in the Bahamas taking Susie down to 80ft on her discovery dive and scaring the crap out of her....Not dema....not you...not Al Hornsby

--------------

Al's name may have never been mentioned, but assumption among people in the industry is one thing, most importantly....assumption to Al. Like you said, you do not know industry info on this, only what you read. If you did have more info on all of this vs. some of what you read, you would believe "X" :wink:

Last edited:
Netdoc, I wouldn't support you and be here if I thought you were a problem!

You have my full support, you have since we first opened and I stumbled on here in 2006, and you will always have my full support! This board does some great things, now not all of the people on here do great things, but that is not a SB problem...that's free speech, that's a free board, that's good conversation and thought.

Back
Top Bottom