Al30

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, yeah. I have. Most recently on the Lowrance (210ft to the sand, 170 to the deck). Deco was 80%. OMS lp steel 46 as deco bottle, slung. OMS lp steel 120 presurized to 150cuft, Zeagle ZX 50D, Sherwood Maximus, Sherwood Brute, OMS valves.

So tell me why an AL30 is better than my old trusty steel 46....really I want to get a cup of coffee, put up my feet, and listen closely to this one........

In The RedHead's case, I agree. But, I don't think that was the context of my original reply. Anyway, it only add's a little more weight and you can stuff about twice the gas in it as an AL30. We all use what works for us right ? My setup on the Lowrance dive was negative, but that's why we use dual bladders. I carried no lead either.

Normally for recreational dives, I use an AL80 with the steel 46 as a pony (like on a 70-130ft type wreck) and it helps me drop some lead. Plus it carries a ton of gas should I actually need the pony. That's all I'm saying.

seaviper:
My setup on the Lowrance dive was negative, but that's why we use dual bladders. I carried no lead either.
Given what you posted, I doubt there will be anything I say that would convince you of anything (and so I'm not going to even try).

But to highlight one point, You have chosen to solve an non-optimal gear configuration with another piece of gear.

Personally, I think that is the wrong way to go.

Jeff, for recreational dives I use a 3/2 wetsuit, a zeagle bc, and an AL80. What's non-optimal about that? Any diver using that setup needs to add weight. I am just replacing weight with a pony. (if you don't need weight with this setup, then you are a man of steel...lol)

If you are doing a tech dive and you're already negative, I understand why you would want less weight. But then you have to figure your gas requirements and that might overcome any negative points about adding a few pounds of weight..or it may not. The 30 may be perfect for that dive.

But, the purpose of a forum is for us to discuss things. You have so far not put one bit of information forward as to why you prefer your'e setup.

Please tell us what your setup is and why you choose to use the AL30 instead of the st46?

They say the Third time is the charm. I will get to test that out. I hate my laptop. It like to close windows on me, especially after typing for a while.

seaviper:
Jeff, for recreational dives I use a 3/2 wetsuit, a zeagle bc, and an AL80. What's non-optimal about that?
If you look at what I quoted, you would see my comment was about your use of the double bladder wing and not your rec setup.

seaviper:
But, the purpose of a forum is for us to discuss things.?
Really?

seaviper:
Please tell us what your setup is and why you choose to use the AL30 instead of the st46?
Luxfer Al's for everything

30 for 100%, a 40 for 50%. 80's for stages.

I want my tanks to be as close to neutral as possible. I don't want them to hang down. I want them up and out of the way.

I also do not want to create a scenario where I am so negative that I have to use 100 lb double bladder wings.

JeffG:
30 for 100%, a 40 for 50%. 80's for stages.

I do hate being contrarian *sigh*, but I use my AL 30 for 50%. Of course, I am much smaller than you. If I needed more deco gas, I would rather use a stubby AL 50 than the longish AL 40. I don't want to throw a monkey wrench in your day. :wink:

TheRedHead:
but I use my AL 30 for 50%.
Al 30's for 100% have another issue. If you don't have a booster you might not have enough O2 in it. Some people use 40's for 100% for just that reason. Using it for 50% doesn't have that problem because you get a full fill when you top with air. Being a girly girl, you get the benefit of having a better sac rate, so a 30@50% can work for you. :wink:

JeffG:
I want my tanks to be as close to neutral as possible. I don't want them to hang down. I want them up and out of the way.
Plus, I can move the bottles onto a leash and clip them off on my waist and they won't hang down like an anchor. Try that with steel deco bottles.

seaviper:
Well, yeah. I have. Most recently on the Lowrance (210ft to the sand, 170 to the deck). Deco was 80%. OMS lp steel 46 as deco bottle, slung. OMS lp steel 120 presurized to 150cuft, Zeagle ZX 50D, Sherwood Maximus, Sherwood Brute, OMS valves.
-80%
-Steel Deco bottle
-Single Tank
-Double bladder

He hit your wabbit hunting check list didn't he, Jeff?

xiSkiGuy:
-80%
-Steel Deco bottle
-Single Tank
-Double bladder

He hit your wabbit hunting check list didn't he, Jeff?
He just needed to add Air to 210ft :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom