Alabama (or other) quarries in winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moulton sounds perfect. Just looked it up on the map. Pretty far north. That's 7 hours or so for me. Probably worth it, but I'd need to make a weekend of it. The diving fee even sounds reasonable. I'll try to see if I can get up there around the March/eary April time frame. Now I just need to find a sucker... ummm, a dive buddy to do it with me!

Thanks for the info...

-P

Brrrrr......

If you want cold in Alabama.... you want Moulton Quarry.

Its a small quarry and doesn't attrach a big crowd, but it's freezing. I dove there once in april and water temps on the bottom below the thermocline were in the 30's. Needless to say we didn't stay down long. The only thing exposed on my body was the area around my regulator and it was so cold that it hurt to move my lips after a few minutes.

Anyway, they will open the quarry during the winter for a minimum fee of 4 paid divers. ($15/diver so $60 total to open it for the winter.). Some guys I know go out a few times a winter and dive there and just pay the $60 bucks and have the place to themself.

Moulton sounds perfect. Just looked it up on the map. Pretty far north. That's 7 hours or so for me. Probably worth it, but I'd need to make a weekend of it. The diving fee even sounds reasonable. I'll try to see if I can get up there around the March/eary April time frame. Now I just need to find a sucker... ummm, a dive buddy to do it with me!

Thanks for the info...

-P

I can prob find you a few dry suit divers up here when you get ready.

I group of us will be diving Moulton on Dec 2. All but one will be diving dry suits.

Could you post a conditions report after the dive?

Moulton will be what you want, down by the bus.....and on the SI you may hear dueling banjo's wafting in the wind......me and Doc will go with you if you wish, have to dive it once a year at least....
Yarg

Gary I just finalized them opening up on Dec 2nd. You are welcome to join us.

I'll keep it in mind....we have the Christmas sale on the first..so a long day...you should come Phil and Brad give away a lot of prizes, well worth the drive....I have my new neck seal stretched out around a Al80 right now getting it ready. The scooter is still in pieces though.
Yarg

Moulton will be what you want, down by the bus.....snip.......

I dove Moulton today and the conditions were lousy. Outside weather was cloudy, scattered shower spits, around 55 F. In the quarry the viz was essentially non existant below 40-45' depth while it was at best 5' shallower. We started going to the bottom but came up because of the viz. Water temps were 59 F at surface and 57 F at 47'. We did explore the bus but the remainder of our 45 minute dive was along the perimeter at around 35-40' depth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom