Aladin Sport battery change

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can anyone tell me how to open it? There is no door on the side. It is in a console and I don't know how to get it out.

Hi I'll jump on the back of this thread. My Aladin Sport was in a console too. Look at the sides there are 2 pins (will stick out one side or the other) at either end of the sides of the rubber console. I used a leatherman set of pliers to grasp and pull out. The computer then slides out. Easy part done. Now the same quesion as the others how do open it and if there is oil how do I deal with that. Would love a step by step instruction if anyone can help. Will attatch photos to help. Also is it still possible to get a wrist strap?? Much more convenient than a console. Thanks in advance.

P.S It won't let me post links to urls until I have 5 posts or more, this is my first!! So look at my gallery sorry for the inconvenience.

Ok I have done some research and actually installed a new battery in my Aladin Sport. There is a Italian (yes it's in Italian but you'll get the idea) 3 part video on Youtube on how to replace the battery in an Aladin Sports Pro search Aladin or Bricosub (the author). It takes about 30 min to watch in full but is very good despite being in italian. Time wise it will take you about 30 minutes watching the video and proceeding carefully. The video will show you how to do it. These notes wil help you deciher the process (which I had to do).

The Sport and the Pro are the same when opened. I wouldn't be surprised if the Nitrox version was also the same just software/programming change with the model. Some things worth noting.

Uwatec will service them here in Australia it costs $175 OUCH!!!! Not including postage.

The battery is a LR07 which is also a LS14500, SBAA11AX and may have other names. What you are chasing online is a 3.6Volt AA size Lithium (lithium Thionyl Chloride (not rechargable) battery (NOT lithium ion). It comes with solder tabs, plain and with wire out the ends. You want the wire out the ends ( I made the mistake of ordering tabs and had to reorder wire). Cost about $8 per battery.Don't waste time trying to solder on wire unless you really have to, its a pain I tried it!

The case is easy to open. slide a thin blade down the sides and the back comes off. Underneath is the rubber back. Don't poke through any of the four holes in the hard back you'll puncture the rubber seal. You will leaver out the seal (carefully!) to expose the insides.

It is oil filled. Don't let this scare you. The oil is mineral oil. Wikipedia lists mineral oil as parrafin oil, baby oil etc, it's called various things in various places. Take the time to read wiki. Don't bother trying to save the oil, you can just buy a liter ($17 Aussie dollars from Bunnings ...Aussie version of Home Depot) of it and refill it during the service. Best guess is that it takes about 50 ml to fill. The oil is non electrically conductive.

Make sure when finished and resealing you release all the air bubbles (refer to part 3 of video where he tilts the unit submersed in oil)

The reset requires a 3 volt battery. These are expensive ie $10. Save your self some cash and use 2 ordinary 1.5volt AA batteries in series (end to end) $2 will buy you a 2 battery holder like you see in battery operated toys (go to Radio Shack or Dick Smith/Jaycar in Australia) which will save you soldering.

This should allow you to watch the video and fix your computer. You will have to desolder 3 joints and resolder 2. It's not hard and for $175 I for the life of me can't figure what the tech's are charging for. High school students solder harder things in school. If your anyway mechanically/electrically inclinedeven slightly you'll be fine, If you have to call for roadside assistance to change a car tyre I suggest not trying it!!Good luck and post here if you succeed, I'd like to know if anyone actually benefits from this.

This will be cross posted to Youtube as well.

Eureka!

Thanks dude, thanks to u and the video I have now successfully changed battery in my aladin sport! I have not tested it in water yet, but everything seems to work just fine!

Cheers!
Kim

Just wanted to pass on my thanks for the advice from this thread.....managed to get my Aladin Sport back up and running... I appreciate there are newer units out there... But this does the job for me.

Attachments

• 20201206_195337.jpg
    20201206_195337.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 65
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom