Aladin TEC vs. Suunto Vytec

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am a little frustrated with the "gauge mode" of my current dive computer and am looking to replace it with something that can at least show elapsed time increments in seconds - stop watch function (that actually works during the dive) and average depth would be nice...

From searching around and talking to some divers, I've narrow it down to the UWATEC Aladin TEC Wrist or a Suunto. I just happen to like the larger display of a Vytec compared to a Stinger.

Anyway, has anyone here used either or both of the above? Pros and cons? Any reason(s) why you would pick one over the other? How are the softwares for UWATEC and Suunto?

Thanks.

I have been using the Vytec for a year or two now and the gauge mode works just fine.This computer is massive over kill for DIR diving. If I had it to do again I would get something simpler and cheaper possibly a bottom timer as reccommended and get a cheap computer backup for the pocket...maybe. The download feature is not easy to setup and the air integration is a waste as you still need an SPG because of the fact that the transmitter is so touchy and prone to failure.

Sensus Pro for dive logging and a BT for well...BT. Problem solved, and you still saved about $300. :D

Suunto D3 has the stopwatch ability that is easy to use. No avg depth, you have to do it the hard way (in your head)

For what it's worth, my GUE instructor uses the TEC wrist, and he really likes it. Said he recommends it and would buy it again. I don't really know anything about the Suunto.
Good Luck

EDIT - forgot to add that I believe he told me he was having a hard time finding a bungie mount for the TEC wrist though, so that might enter in to your consideration

Vie:
I am a little frustrated with the "gauge mode" of my current dive computer and am looking to replace it with something that can at least show elapsed time increments in seconds - stop watch function (that actually works during the dive) and average depth would be nice...

From searching around and talking to some divers, I've narrow it down to the UWATEC Aladin TEC Wrist or a Suunto. I just happen to like the larger display of a Vytec compared to a Stinger.

Anyway, has anyone here used either or both of the above? Pros and cons? Any reason(s) why you would pick one over the other? How are the softwares for UWATEC and Suunto?

Thanks.

Jasonmh:
For what it's worth, my GUE instructor uses the TEC wrist, and he really likes it. Said he recommends it and would buy it again. I don't really know anything about the Suunto.
Good Luck

EDIT - forgot to add that I believe he told me he was having a hard time finding a bungie mount for the TEC wrist though, so that might enter in to your consideration

I use one of Tobin's mounts for the Uwatec BT. The Tec fits in very nicely, just pop it out to download.

Vie:

Can I ask why you need a stop watch like functionality underwater?

ppo2_diver:
Makes timing Deco stops very easy.

ppo2_diver:

Open water: Deco stops and time spent in particular depth ranges. Not necessary but convenient.

Cave, particularly Mexico: Time spent from particular cenotes, burn time on scooter, etc.

There are lots of reasons it is a convenience. But, is just that since you have to generally track this stuff in your head too because of the risk of forgetting to start or stop the timer and accidentally restarting the timer.

The Vytec works great for this. My wife just uses a straight bottom timer but in Oz they tend to notice that is not a computer and gripe so I am about to get her a Tec. Main reason is they are cheaper than the Vytec and it actually has additional Guage mode features which is all I care about. Drawback is that there seems to be some battery issues with the Tec whereas most of my Suunto products (other than their GPS watches) have been flawless quality wise.

Hiya Vie,
Get the Alladin tec i have been using one the last 6 months most dir people i know are now using them in gauge mode. Main reason is the stopwatch just press the left button when leaving the bottom and can restart it anytime for deco whatever.

The software is also pretty cool can see graphical of dive see how smooth your ascent really is especially gas switch.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom