Alberta Lakes Will Thaw Soon!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haha49:
the town was built on a marsh and sank for somereason i cant rember were it was or why it sank i just now that it was on a marsh and most of it sank or is still partly sunken..

That's not Minnewanka anyway. The town of Minnewanka was a small town near Banff (on lake Minnewanka) that was intentionally flooded by the govt. in order to enlarge the lake for recreational purposes. Actually flooded twice - the first time enlarged the lake but did not flood the townsite, the second time flooded the townsite.

The townsite is about 2km "downstream" (i.e. mid-lake) from the current causway.

The last time also submerged a concrete dam built in 1912. That and some bridge pilings are the main dive attractions "close to shore". The townsite is a scooter trip or a boat ride to reach.

Cheers,

-S

No dives shops anywhere near banff. If you could sneak a tank or two into the trunk, I'm sure theres a fire station in banff or in canmore that would fill them for you if you asked really nicely?

http://sunsite.ualberta.ca/Projects/Alberta-Lakes/view/ is the site you want to head to for data on alberta lakes.

Lake Minniwanka, Forget me not Pod, Two Jack Lake, Lake Edith (jasper), and the Spray Lakes Canal are some of the more requented ones. I've only personally dove Minniwanka and Two Jake however.

Forgetmenot is nice, its bloody freezing even in the summer(Colder than Minni and the rest of the lot). Two Jack is also nice, really close to Minni. The bottom is covered with a fine that gets kicked up super easy and the visibility is usually quite poor... even if you stay a good distance away from the bottom in an attempt to not kick anything up. If you head way down south you can dive in Waterton Park. The lake is really nice and you can dive on the Esmerelda (sp) in Emerald Bay.
Pine Coulee (has a sunken playgound and other stuff... visibility is at most 5 feet on the best of days!); Lake Edith as mentioned in Jasper...In the city of Calgary you can always resort to residencial lakes like Chapparal, Midnapore or Sundance too (must ask first)!
Hope that helps!
AP

Thanks everyone,

It might be pretty hard to sort out as I'll be passing though jasper/banff during the week and I assume most people head out on weekends.

However, after I get my plane ticket and smooth over the idea with the wife, I'll post again and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.
would be great to do a dive if possible !

nadwidny:
The wreck in Patricia is good for a single tank as long as you dont' have to hump in but since that's pretty much the only way to do it give it a pass.

I'm still trying to swing something on this trip :wink:
And it looks like I'll be staying 2 maybe 3 days in the Patricia Lake bungalows ! right on the edge of the lake. So..... can anyone enlighten me about [FONT=Arial,Helvetica,Geneva,Swiss,SunSans-Regular]Habakukk?
[/FONT]

Clean shop, new rental gear, the lady there carol, (I think thats her name) seems to know her stuff. Not like another shop around here that has sales all the time(supermarket type sales). Just curious, due to I just moved here and looking to get more gear.

I would ask around of other area divers what shops they like and don't like. There are dive events starting with the Aquathon on the May long weekend in Jasper where you'll be able to talk to divers of all stripes and get opinions on the different shops in the area. People will also be hanging out at Twin around that time so that is another good place to go. Or check out the local clubs.

For myself if I need little things like a mask, then I'll buy in Edmonton. Any big items I buy from Aquasports in Calgary. Best damn shop in Western Canada.

Ok, Ill look at Aquasports, but I am of the opion if one is going to say that someone or something is no good they should back it up. PM me if you want and Ill not tell anyone what u said.I have gone to twin and dived there and I know that one lady there (I think she belong to the wing divers who have a nice setup ) has a negative attittude towards that LDS, but I hear also from other divers is that she was once part owner. So I dont know. The only reason I am so interrested is because I have talked to them and I was thinking of going on some trips with them. But if you know something I should I would like to know. I am very carefully who I dive with, I dont break or bend the rules.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom