Alcohol after the dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alcohol's Effects on Other Body Systems

In addition to the brain, alcohol can affect other body tissues. It has the following effects on other systems in the body:
  • Irritates the linings of the stomach and intestine - This can lead to vomiting.
  • Increases blood flow to the stomach and intestines - This increases secretions by these organs, most notably stomach acid secretion.
  • Increases blood flow to the skin - This causes a person to sweat and look flushed. The sweating causes body heat to be lost, and the person's body temperature may actually fall below normal.
  • Reduces blood flow to muscles - This can lead to muscle aches, most notably when a person recovers from the alcohol (the "hangover").
Read more at How Stuff Works

Nothing is good for you, but you're going to die anyway so you might as well enjoy life a little bit. The middle path is the way to happiness...

sessions:
At the risk of getting several mean responses......What is the true skinny on cocktails AFTER 2-3 dives and possible DCS??
you could rinse your regulator with wodka,keeps it desinfected and you,ll have an excuse to drink,mmmhh.peace :wink:

First let me say that I like my Guinness! In large quantities.

However, I made it a point years ago, not to drink any alcohol for periods of 24 hours before AND AFTER diving.

Just my own personal choice.

RichLockyer:
Constriction of surface vessels... your body's natural reaction to getting cold, as it retains (or increases) internal temperature. This is why it can be dangerous to drink while using a hot tub... the water increases your body heat, and the alcohol inhibits the ability of the body to shed the excess heat through exposed surfaces (head, ears, etc...). Boom... hyperthermia.

No, actually I think it is dilation as reefraff pointed out. The feeling of warmth when drinking in the cold is a deceptive one. You are increasing blood flow to the skin due to this dilation, so you feel warmer as the blood flows there. However, you are actually giving off your warmth to the cold at a faster rate, thus lowering your core temperature.

JAG

jagfish:
However, you are actually giving off your warmth to the cold at a faster rate, thus lowering your core temperature.
Which would also promote hyperthermia when sitting in water above body temperature.

This would actually improve offgassing to those tissues, however, harming offgassing to the muscular tissues due to the shunting, BUT.....

For either of these effects to significantly impact offgassing, we're talking about more than a couple or three drinks. Again, air and body temperature changes will have the same effect.

All of the effects listed are undeniably present, and many of us have suffered them first-hand. Vomiting and sore muscles? Ya... that's more than a couple of after-dive drinks.

No... it's not good for you, but it's not always unhealthy or something to be paranoid about either. In moderation, with an otherwise properly balanced diet and fit lifestyle, it's a non-issue.

Great thread. I'll be sure to do all of my diving, during my trip to Montego Bay, in the morning so I can be in Margaritaville by lunchtime :wink:

Nothing like a beer with lunch right next to the dive shop overlooking the harbour. Did hold off any alcohol when we did our night dive. Torturous! We had at most 2 beers, nothing stupid.
There on Salt Cay there is a trip to the zoo involving shots and hall of fame. That we didn't do, but it's on this years list as we are staying longer, no diving the next day! The restaurant is featured in this months Caribbean Travel mag.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Moderate alcohol consumption, and its effect 'should' not be the tipping point between NO DCS and DCS.

However, alcohol may mask the signs/symptoms of DCS. Moderate tingling, skin flush etc. Instead of assuming DCS, the victim may attribute it to the alcohol.

Alcohol will make the effects of DCS worse.

Generally, DCS becomes apparent within the first hour after surfacing. I'd hold off from the alcohol for a bit longer- at least until back to land and equipment is rinsed, logbooks are signed etc.

Nothing like a 9 year old thread coming back from the archives! I'll drink to that!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom