Alexander and Manatee Springs for Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

slackercruster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is solo diving allowed at Alexander and Manatee Springs ?

Any other springs you can recommend in N FL for solo open water diver? (Other than Ginnie)

Alexander isn't monitored IIRC, I doubt anyone is there to say yes or no.

Manatee does NOT allow solo.

I think you do have to sign in to the entrance of the park for Alexander so... you may have to have a buddy, in state parks I believe you do need a buddy of which Manatee is one.

every time i've been to alexander they've never said anything about a buddy to me, manatee is most certainly buddy required tho

I have soloed alexander springs. You don't have to sign anything just show them you have a C-card. Alexander isn't really a cave site the opening is very small and a good possibility you will get stuck. ALOT of swimmers and training is done there on the weekends.

Manatee, you have to sign in with a buddy. Learned that lesson the hard way... three man dive planned, two of us showed up together and drove back to wait at the spring for the third person, who never showed up, because she couldn't get in without a buddy. We felt terrible but I've never forgotten the lesson!

Alexander, I believe you can sign in by yourself.

At Manatee, I've had rangers interrogate me because I had cave diving gear but was only diving as an OW diver, and they thought doubles and reels were taboo for an OW diver.

At Alexander, I've been stopped on the path to the water and been asked to show my dive bracelet. Mind you, I was in doubles, and it was very hot out. Also, I had put the bracelet on my ankle just for kicks and giggles. Wasn't fun balancing on one leg to remove a boot to show the lady I had indeed registered.

But, I was alone, my buddy was already getting in the water, and she didn't ask where my buddy was.

I have soloed alexander springs. You don't have to sign anything just show them you have a C-card. Alexander isn't really a cave site the opening is very small and a good possibility you will get stuck. ALOT of swimmers and training is done there on the weekends.

The cavern is big enough for one person to get in, look around and get out... I suppose you could get stuck if you tried really hard... but the flow will probably push you out before that happened. There's a lot more to see in there because the water is still clear... not anything like it is out in the basin. If you have one, wear a hood... it will keep the sand out of your hair at least... equipment is a different story.

I found the most entertaining thing to do at Alexander is feed hot dogs to the fish. It's amazing how a few fish magically turn into dozens! Make sure you wear gloves though! Alexander is also a good place to remember why you have an equipment bag with wheels or remind you why you wanted to get one... it's a hefty walk from the parking lot to the picnic area by the water.

Ken

Went diving (OW) at Alexander on Thursday. You pay ($5.28) at the front of the park and you must show a c-card. You get a special wristband that allows you to dive if another park worker asks. We saw three and they all asked to see our scuba band. We were never asked if we had a buddy and I was questioned once by myself. Husband was at the truck. So, I think you can solo dive.

Forgive me but Ive never understood diving in Alexander when you can hold your breath and bottom out easily. Maybe thats why they dont push the buddy system in there. Little River is another option but a short swim to the dark zone if your not cave.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom