All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dtdiver once bubbled...
thanks laser

that's the logic i'm looking for!!!

unfortunately, i cannot fit a dir course into my life right now so i have to rely on you folks
any other thoughts

thanks
dt

I'm not sure that my logic on the placement is correct. It could be that when properly weighted, as you see in those fifthd clips, the wing tends to wrap around the tank and the inside almost becomes the outside. If there's a bunch of gas in that wing at depth and it's not wrapping around the tanks, you're overweighted.

Laser once bubbled...

but I suspect the dump is on the inside because caving it's less of a chance of smacking it or catching it on something, say pushing through a restriction.

If the valve was on the outside of the wing it would fold up against the tank which would make finding the valve and dumping it very diffulcult.Look at this picture and notice how the wing wraps the tank and notice the location of the lower dump.

http://www.baue.org/images/galleries/view_photo.php?set_albumName=album07&id=P2160022

Laser once bubbled...

If there's a bunch of gas in that wing at depth and it's not wrapping around the tanks, you're overweighted.

I think you lost me on that one. If you are properly weighted you should be negative by the weight of the air in your tanks.You counteract that weight by having air in your wing which causes the taco effect.

i understand now.

that pic from BAUE makes it clear why the valve is there

unfortunately, i can't get mozilla to run the 5thd vids

but i feel better (for now).

i am sure that when i dive it i'll have more questions

thanks for the info, and for being patient with me.

dt

tacos???

darn that makes me hungry!!
can't think about diving on an mt stomach

brb

dt

lal7176 once bubbled...

I think you lost me on that one. If you are properly weighted you should be negative by the weight of the air in your tanks.You counteract that weight by having air in your wing which causes the taco effect.

You are correct, if you are properly weighted. If very heavy and too much gas is in the wing it will begin to flatten out and not envelope the tank like it should, making it more difficult to dump. Not knowing anything about his diving I just thought I'd throw that out there. In my fundies class it was noticed the amount of air in wings at depth was a good indication of overweighting. Properly weighted, the wing cradles the tank, and the dump is basically vertical.

just got a 55 lb halcyon bc
the inflator hose is much shorter than the one i used previously (oms ).

seems i will have to order a custom inflator hose.

is it typical for halcyon bc's to have shorter inflator hoses? have any of you had the same experience?

i now need to order two.

turns out the dui supplied inflator hose doesn't fit the oms connector
i was trying to standardize all my hoses for greater redundancy when i found this out.

i'd be interested in any other opinions/experiences

thanks

dt

dtdiver once bubbled...
just got a 55 lb halcyon bc
the inflator hose is much shorter than the one i used previously (oms ).

seems i will have to order a custom inflator hose.

is it typical for halcyon bc's to have shorter inflator hoses? have any of you had the same experience?

i now need to order two.

turns out the dui supplied inflator hose doesn't fit the oms connector
i was trying to standardize all my hoses for greater redundancy when i found this out.

i'd be interested in any other opinions/experiences

thanks

dt

Halcyon wings have shorter inflator hoses, this is known.

However, your wing should have come with an inflator hose. Where did you get it?

Back
Top Bottom