All about Halcyon wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i don't think halcyon could do a recall even if they wanted to. i have not noticed a serial # on their wing. how would they know which ones to recall and how could you find out if you had one of the faulty wings?

i just received my 55 lb halcyon wing and have questions.

if i mount it on my backplate so the "halcyon" emblem faces forward ( against my back ), the inflate hose comes over my left shoulder - good -..

with this situation, the dump valve is on my lower left, facing my tanks (i.e. it faces forward).

when would you use this to dump
??
seems to me you'd have to be feet up to use it!?

sorry if this is a silly question

i am used to having the dump valve be either front facing on my shoulder or rear facing but lower on the bc .

dt

dtdiver once bubbled...
i just received my 55 lb halcyon wing and have questions.

if i mount it on my backplate so the "halcyon" emblem faces forward ( against my back ), the inflate hose comes over my left shoulder - good -..

with this situation, the dump valve is on my lower left, facing my tanks (i.e. it faces forward).

when would you use this to dump
??
seems to me you'd have to be feet up to use it!?

sorry if this is a silly question

i am used to having the dump valve be either front facing on my shoulder or rear facing but lower on the bc .

dt

Just give a very slight roll to the right and raise your butt a tiny bit. Then grab the rear dump and fold it out before pulling it. The key is turning the dump valve to the outside.

if this is DIR and logic / functionality are paramount why do i need to "fold the valve" around?

in a horizontal, slightly head down position ( where i usually am) , a front facing dump valve won't dump much!

admittedly, i almost never use any dump valve because the inflator hose is more precise, but in an emergency i would think you'd be head up making a shoulder position optimal.

dt

"help me understand, please"

dtdiver once bubbled...
if this is DIR and logic / functionality are paramount why do i need to "fold the valve" around?

in a horizontal, slightly head down position ( where i usually am) , a front facing dump valve won't dump much!

admittedly, i almost never use any dump valve because the inflator hose is more precise, but in an emergency i would think you'd be head up making a shoulder position optimal.

dt

"help me understand, please"

First, I don't know why you would be * head up * in an emergency. All DIR emergency drills are done horizontal. Second, I'm not positive, maybe more knowledgeable can chime in, but I suspect the dump is on the inside because caving it's less of a chance of smacking it or catching it on something, say pushing through a restriction.

thanks laser

that's the logic i'm looking for!!!

unfortunately, i cannot fit a dir course into my life right now so i have to rely on you folks
any other thoughts

thanks
dt

dtdiver once bubbled...
a front facing dump valve won't dump much!

They actually dump fine. I have the same wing you do and have zero problems dumpling...I only use the left rear dump.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom