All about Oxygen O2 Analyzers, including DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have built 3 of the oxycheck el-cheapo analysers, and have converted them to the El-cheapo II, which uses the linear pot.

They are excellent, it takes about 3 hours to build one.
They are just as accurate as the commercial unit in our shop, and less than 1/2 the price.

Simple hand tools and soldering iron are all you need.
Oxycheck is quick to supply parts and sensors, and are inexpensive.

I highly recommend it.

Mike D
:blfish:

Tm530 once bubbled...
I should have it by Monday. I'll let you know how it works out!
Tom
... we've been talking about two things here...
... which one did you shoot?

1. El Cheapo?
2. Leisurepro typo?

I went for the Leisurepro deal on the Dive Rite product UP. They may very well not send me what the description reads, but I printed out the web page and have no issue discussing this with them STRONGLY if they do not come through. Besides, I know the lingo, I work for a large retail company and part of my area of responsibility is New York State.
I'll post what I end up getting.
Tom

Even throwing out the "Golden Rule," there is a principle of "reasonableness" that helps cover advertisers when they make a mistake. Would a reasonable person conclude that the "deal" is "too good to be true?" If so, there is at least a partial duty on the part of the buyer to clarify what's meant.
I find the kind of "sea lawyer" approach I'm seeing here less than honorable.
It is a pretty sorry testament to the times.
Rick

...do I see an NDI Smack Down coming here...

~~~~~~~

Those moves are staged right... you really aren't punching and kicking one another but just stopping your feet on the ring floor to make noise.... right???

You might want to double check the Leisure Pro web page against the Dive Rite products.

Dive Rite has the part number of the VTI Oxygen Analyzer listed as GM2701 which "Includes O2 sensor, GM2087 flow meter and an Otter Box for storage and transport."

Leisure Pro's Part number is listed as "DIVE RITE OXYGEN GAS FLOW METER 2087"

It desn't look like you will get an analyzer.. and at best, if they claim the sensor is a typo, you could get your money back and an apology.

Ty

El Cheapo is based on the analyzer plans in the original OXY HACKER'S COMPANION - Patrick got started off in the analyzer biz making a kit so folks wouldn't have to scrounge up the parts from different suppliers. Since then we've both upgraded our plans several times, but the plans in the book are pretty much the same as his current kit, with the upgraded linear adjustment pot. The free plans on his website are for the original version from the first edition of the book, with the non-linear pot. See http://www.airspeedpress.com/newoxyhacker.html for more details.

There have been hundreds if not thousands of these analyzers built, both from the book and from Patrick's kits, and they work just as well as anything you can buy ready-made. The nice thing about building one (if you enjoy doing such things) is that most of the money in the finished analzyer is in the sensor - you have a premium long-life sensor, while some of the ready made analzyers made for the dive market are starting to cut corners on the sensor. Plus when the sensor does wear out, you can replace it with any sensor made since the analyzer can be adjusted to work with any sensor, so you aren't tied to some manufacturer's overpriced sensor - OMS analyzer owners would have appreciated this feature a while back when OMS got stuck with a batch of bad sensors!

If you build one you'll also need a sampler to get the gas from the tank to the sensor. There are a number of low cost alternatives in the book, starting at about .75¢, or you can build a nice one that goes on a BC hose for about $6.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
Make it your self from the parts kit for ~$100.
The sensor is the expensive (and critical) part... the rest is just a dedicated voltmeter to tell you what the sensor is sensing... does that make sense.

Check it out here

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom