All about visual inspection stickers VCI/VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot stress that making a safe dive depends on many factors including good equipment. So please take the time and listen to Uncle Pug and others have mentioned here and get those tanks to someone reputable who can do a VIP+. A tank that explodes is like a missle; it will destroy everything around it and can kill people.

Just curious if anyone else has had this happen - I was certified by PSI to vip tanks. Took the course and now I have the stickers (yes, I will vip my buddies tanks for free). I just moved to the Metro west area of MA. and the LDS won't fill my doubles because they have PSI's vip sticker on them. But, they would fill them if I let them VIP them . Ticked me off, they just lost a new customer . Has anyone else had this happen?

Thanks
ERic:upset:

. I would not accept their answer at all. Bill High,who started PSI,has trained more Visual Inspectors than Most LDS's have certified students. His program is one of the only inspections recognized by all governmental agencies(D.O.T,U.S.N., N.O.A.A.) and most international agencies as well. If you don't get satisfaction,go to the other metro west dive shop. I won't presume which one you are talking about

East Coast Divers
Framingham

Mass Diving
Natick

If you Still aren't sure go to United Divers in Somerville, I used to work there and I know they will respect the PSI Visual

I've never had a problem with the PSI stickers. I'd talk to the manager and find out what the problem is.

Find out what he WILL fill. If it's only cylinders with his sticker, laugh in his face and walk out. If he wants a shop sticker to assure that a competent technician has inspected them, show him your certificate and ask for a fill.

Roak

Ronmedic,

Actually it was the store in Framingham. So, I did laugh at the clerk and walked out. Hey, I can go else where. You would think they wouldn't even think twice about it. I mean, I could make my own VIP stickers up with some fake dive shope or just scan a shops sticker.

Eric

That the owner has flat told me that they will not honor a VIP by anyone but a dive shop because they want the other shop's liability insurace to counter sue in case of an explosion. The same shop once did a vis _and_ fill on a steel tank of mine in less than 5 minutes without removing stickers and boot. As a reference a full PSI inspection REQUIRES removal of stickers and boot, and takes about 10 minutes for a steel, and close to 20 minutes for an aluminum tank deck to deck. They are obviously more interested in having a target for their lawyer than in protecting their employees or the public.

This same shop once hit me with a three page legal release to board their boat after we made a 5 hour drive to the dock. We went that day since the day was blown anyway , but never will go out with them again.

I greatly respect their non-PADI instructor, and do send prospective students there, but I warn them up front of the attitude they will find, and indicate that outside of the instruction I would do absolute minimal business there becuse of it. (Hey, good insturctors can be hard to find!)

FT

ERIC

I know what you mean, we have three and a half shops in my area. One of which will not fill with the VIP's from PSI or just about anything else. Because they want to charge you for doing it themselves. I VIP my own (PSI also) and luckily do not deal with them anymore to get fills(it's great to have buddies with fill stations).

This one and one other shop in town also refuse to do fills for anyone(or rent tanks) who is certified by SDI. Both of these happen to be PADI, the local SSI man has no problems with it.

Niether of these are surprising since the first shop also charged some friends $1000.00 for filling 2 sets of doubles and 2 stages with 21/35 TMX! Real nice guy, the owner is. Yea Right!

Id avoid this shop entirely, and call or email Bill High at PSI and ask him if he has ever heard of this. (he probably has, and he will probably tell you if there is nothing you can do about it other than avoid the shop)

First time I have ever heard of this, but it doesn't surprise me.

Dave

One thing you may want to try. Actually get one VIPed by him. When you get the tank back see if you get a report on their findings. If not, ask them to PROVE they actually did the VIP.

Make sure you do it when there are lots of customers around.

You may end up with more than your friends coming to you for their VIPs.

There is one shop in the FLA Keys (not going to name them) who refuses to fill tanks unless the VIP sticker has a shop logo. REASON: If the tank blows or he has a problem with it, he can proudly put the sticker on the wall under the sign stating "These Guys Don't Know How To VIP Tanks". Does the same thing to O2 Serviced tanks.

PSI is probably the best source of qualified VIP inspectors.

I have YET to enter a shop here in the Central Florida area that has a PSI certed tech in it. Actually, I have yet to enter a shop that has anyone with ANY SORT of formal training. It's a monkey see, monkey do sort of thing. I had one shop deny my inspections because it is not "VIS Plussed"... until we started to compare notes about how they "VIP" a tank... They don't even own a pit guage or tank probes... they really had no idea that this only checked the neck. After our little "discussion" they have no problem with my VIP stickers.

Back
Top Bottom