All about visual inspection stickers VCI/VIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc,
Are you certain? charging for a vip without training seems a little reckless to me. You need more than a visual+ to vip tanks.

and I can give addresses of the offending shops to prove it. This is the HEIGHT of irresponsibility that they charge for a sticker. Walter had a tank he was having inspected... the person doing the inspection (in front of him) asked if he wanted "first peek" when he got the valve off... you know Walter. Well, they were both surprised to see the big ol' dead cockroach inside the tank. He still wonders how long it had actually been overlooked. Sheeeeeeeeesh... thats an eye opener to say the least.

On a side note... I would love to become a PSI trainer for Orlando (the closest being Sarasota) but I am uncertain that there is enough interest to really warrant it. I would like to at least break even on the venture.

Qualified PSI instructors in Cave Country? What would they do with all the over pressurized tanks they fill on a daily basis?

I heard one guy talking to another, while they were filling tanks, and he mentioned he had just VIPed a tank with "Sand" in it. And was wondering how you go about getting sand in a tank. His buddy was quick to point out that the tank must have been drained completely and sand accidently got in...

I'm sure if either one of these guys had any training at all, they would have been aware of something called Aluminum Oxide.

I had one that had sand not aluminum oxide, but silica on the inside. It had been tumbled last year... I don't think it was cleaned afterwards. There are a few shops that use builders sand as a polishing medium.

Good thing I have found another shop. You know, I could make my own vips and the shop would probally be to dumb to notice it was not a real shop, but a PSI vip - no way.

Gotta love it
Eric

I had a tank come in yesterday for a fill. The tank had a new hydro but no vip sticker at all. In addition, it is an old tank (6531). The customer said the inspector must have forgotten the sticker and that he would call him. I offered a reasonably priced visual. If the guy forgot the sticker I can't help wonder what else he left out.

If there are that many bogus stickers why should we trust any of them especially with the old al tanks. Anyone can get or even print their own stickers. there are enough card carrying incometents in this business I don't care to deal with the ones who don't have cards.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
The tank had a new hydro but no vip sticker at all.
If he had brought it directly to a "generic" hydro shop (one not associated with a SCUBA facility) as a matter of course he would not have gotten a sticker.

Roak

He took it to a dive shop that sends tanks out for hydro. We do it the same way. We vip it before and after hydro and put a sticker on it.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...
He took it to a dive shop that sends tanks out for hydro. We do it the same way. We vip it before and after hydro and put a sticker on it.
That's what I'd expect a shop to do. I bring my directly to the hydro facility, then inspect them myself (PSI#10058).

Roak

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom