All BCD questions answered !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great questions... :)

1> There's a variety of different systems out there for attaching weight to the backplate, including "quick release" style like you're accustomed to. These slide onto the 2" webbing that makes up the waist band. Some people prefer to use a weight belt. I'm a fan of simply threading a few pounds of weight right onto the waist band directly.

Yes, this does prevent dropping any weight in case of an emergency (the pockets and the belt method don't), but the theory is that if a diver is already diving with a minimum amount of weight, he/she shouldn't need to dive with ditchable weight. In case of an emergency, the diver simply swims up. For this reason, correct weighting is critical - as it always is, regardless of what you're using as a BC.

2> Backplates and wings excel at a few things - stabilizing the tank on your back, getting six pounds of weight over your lungs (and off of your waist) where it belongs, streamlining, and durability. The hogarthian continuous harness has an advantage in clean design, steamlinedness, infinite adjustability, D-rings literally anywhere you want, and an absolute perfect fit every time. It can also be replaced for about $15 when you wear it out.

...But perhaps the biggest advantage of a backplate and wing is it's modularity - that is, it can be used with doubles or singles and with a variety of wings suited for different purposes. Very rarely do other BCs allow for the application of both single or double tanks, and even more rarely do they allow for different wings for different conditions - which is to say that with most systems, the air cell that you have is what you're stuck with, and it's often either too big or too small.

Yeah, of course, my friend. :)

Dunno if it helped anybody, but I hope it did/does. :)

2> While there is a lot of "A Bp/Wing is the only way to go" here and everywhere, there is no list of reasons why.....
Not a troll, not starting a flame war, just trying to understand....

Thanks,
Guy
:)

There are reasons why listed all over the place, in countless threads that come up on this forum every week or so. Try doing a search.

Sorry. :) Hopefully I've improved my writing skills. :)

Well... :) I dunno - I was just trying to quantify the real differences, and stay away from the marketing hype. Given that I had no connection to any manufacturer, I thought an unbiased opinion from someone who'd just tried out a whole bunch of them would be welcome. :)

I dunno - the article got the reaction that I wanted - to quantify my own thoughts, share with an interested audience, and better define the real differences through the marketing haze.

...That it was published in several places at the time - and being argued about today - is a testament to the article. :)

I guess I should say, "Thanks." :D

It wasn't bad. It just seemed like what most BP/W lovers say in the forums. The fact that you wrote what you did years ago may explain why I've heard what you stated (in various forms) repeated. I was sold before reading the info so I have no complaints. I think the subject of the thread that your info was re-posted in could have been called something other than "All BC Questions Answered." Even "BP/W Explained" would have been better. Oh well, good info none the less.

Always remember, human beings are very adaptable----

The best BC is none at all.

Back
Top Bottom