All In All Not A Bad Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty_6

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Folowing the misadventures of JRMMFG17 and myself the other night we dicided to have another go at Venice on Sept 15th. He and I along with Reddogmp and JRMFG17's other half all went down there about 1 mile south of Alhambra at the park.

We hit the water at about 8:30 A.M.. Zero wind, smooth and 10-12 viz. We all surface swim out to the artificial reef, plant the flag and off we go. Lots of grunts, jacks, snook, stone crabs and le piece de resistance one extra large Jewfish hold the tartar sauce.

I have never seen one in waters this shallow, (18ft, hanging out inside one of the concrete drain pipes that make up the reef). The last time I saw a Jewfish was diving an abandoned rig off the La coast at 90'. This little guy was a bit over 5 ft long and maybe 200lbs, (guesstimate since I don't see too many of these monsters). All in all not a bad dive, some great marine life and about an hour and a half on the bottle. Must have been the yin to our yang from the kayak mess from before, never seen one this shallow before.

Enjoy your work week, I am going diving!

Scott

The artificial reef is a good one. The combination of concrete in the warm shallows really allows for the growth to take hold quickly. Some of the corals are starting to take hold and expand across this reef. Because of it's max depth of around 21' this area is like an underwater playground. I could spend all day down there just looking and chasing fish. The reef runs north south genarally. We entered the water from the park just south of the pier and swam out about 600-700m due west. Dropped in right on top of it.

Which park are we talking about. The one off of Venice avenue?

Which park are we talking about. The one off of Venice avenue?

The first one South of the pier is the dog park (Brohard paw park), but I'm guessing it's the next one South, Brohard park. I was driving by the area the other day and noticed the new park just North of Sharkey's is now open. Looks really nice, with lot's of parking and clean bathrooms. I'm going to check that one out soon.

The first one South of the pier is the dog park (Brohard paw park), but I'm guessing it's the next one South, Brohard park. I was driving by the area the other day and noticed the new park just North of Sharkey's is now open. Looks really nice, with lot's of parking and clean bathrooms. I'm going to check that one out soon.

Let me know what you find. I'd be interested in diving this reef.:D

:Dyepper:D

The park we dove, was the Service Park across the street from the airport. When you walk out on the boardwalk, go left about 20yds. Your reference point will be the two tall "pine" trees. Swim straight out the length of the pier and then another 1/2-1 full length of the pier again. You should be right on top of the reef. Anybody want to go this Sat/Sun????

J.R.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom