All the boyz are doing it, now it's our turn!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm putting in an order for quick disconnects tomorrow from M&C.

Trying to get a feel for how many to order this first go round....

I will be ordering both flow through and with check valves. The flow through is pretty cheap so I'll order more of those, the check valve version a bit more expensive, so will have fewer of those 'on hand' so to speak.

Also spoke to the Hollister rep today and she will get back to me monday about getting the spray at a wholesale price (that i can then pass on to y'all)

The recommendation from a reputable source was to do my own install.... I purchased a Halcyon Streamlined P-valve, and did it myself. The direction manual for install is outstanding.

Here is a photo step by step of my adventure for my old suit. After doing one, I have no qualms about putting one in my new suit when it arrives :)

I did as you suggested and installed the Halcyon Streamlined P-valve. She - p arrived on Saturday. I'm now working on hookup.

I did as you suggested and installed the Halcyon Streamlined P-valve. She - p arrived on Saturday. I'm now working on hookup.

Awesome Ren!!! I'm seriously debating getting one of these when my new drysuit comes in. I just don't know if it's worth the cost yet.

Hollister spray came today. Maybe I'll get to try this out over the weekend. Oh Joy!

Awesome Ren!!! I'm seriously debating getting one of these when my new drysuit comes in. I just don't know if it's worth the cost yet.

Hi there Scubajennifer. I decided to just jump in and try this out. I've had the dry suit for a few years but rarely used it due to the "need to pee" factor. I'll post as I go with this stuff. Hopefully it will all be good!

Ok Laura... You talked me into the QD... Do you have pics on how you have yours??

I haven't counted the dives I've had with the She-P, but I'm happy to say that I love it. Now I just have to figure out what's going on with my P Valve.. grr... I think I may have a dud...

please see my avatar for a pic of a qd... hee hee hee!

Ok, being an engineer & diver I had to read some of this thread. Prety cool idea for the dry suit folks. One more point to think about as a promotional point is the size of the head (toilet) on most dive boats! Even an experience male diver like myself really dislikes to tiny toilet cabin if one is wearing a dry suit.

The question about what to do if you are diving dry came up this last weekend out at Lake Perris in Riverside County, California. All I had for an answer at the time was you either unzip or install a P valve if you are a guy. Now I have a better answer.

Ladies!

Hopefully by the end of this week I will have my account ready to rock and roll with Hollister distributor and be able to get the Medical Adhesive Spray at a Wholesale rate (which will pass on of course) I was quoted a price of around 17.00 per spray can BEFORE shipping costs from them to me. If I place orders in the range of 300.00 worth of product, then shipping from the warehouse to me is free.

If you want to check prices, from what I can tell, list price on it ranges from a low of 27.00 with shipping to 40.00+ with shipping. If you are looking online for it, be sure you look at the price for 7730, the adhesive, NOT 7731, the Adhesive REMOVER.

As far as adhesive remover goes... Don't bother paying for anything fancy, baby oil on your skin works very well!

Alcohol for the she-p side, only rub it back and forth a little bit to loosen up an area, then wipe one direction only and it will start kind of rolling up like rubber cement. (or if using a day or two in a row, just wash and let dry, and respray on day two)

McMasters and Carr update. I will be ordering a handful of flow-through style quick disconnects. I am going to do a somewhat limited order this first time around, as of yet I don't know how many of you are going to want them or are getting them elsewhere so I don't really want to be sitting on a whole lot of product without homes this early in the game.

or you can just order them from someone like this...

Quick Disconnect

a 'system' (male and female, 2 pieces) for $25.00 before shipping.

The system I use is a check valve on each side, and flow through for each side for cleaning and peeing. Just the QD would be fine, just have to be more attentive with cleaning so you don't get pee in your suit :) There are long discussion on which side to put your check valve on, my personal experience (if you are gonna get just one side with a check valve) is put it on the suit side, as the she-p side is more comfortable without anything restricting flow of air in and out of it's reservoir when NOT hooked up to suit (if you get check valve on BOTH sides, you HAVE to have the pee through hooked up if you are doing anything like driving, sitting, getting up from sitting, etc... You need to remember to "tilt" and empty your she-p though, else you may get some 'dribbles'.

McMaster price before shipping and without any volume discount, these are the QD's that the boys use.

5012K68
Acetal Quick-Disconnect Coupling Socket, 1/4" Size, for 3/8" Tube ID, W/O Valve

5012K83
Acetal Quick-Disconnect Coupling Socket, 1/4" Size, for 3/8" Tube ID, with Valve

5012K72
Acetal Quick-Disconnect Coupling Plug, 1/4" Size, for 3/8" Tube ID, W/O Valve

5012K86
Acetal Quick-Disconnect Coupling Plug, 1/4" Size, for 3/8" Tube ID, with Valve

so for a little over 20 bucks you can have a 'whole set' (all 4 parts) + shipping.

Right now I'm not looking to make cha-ching for my time and hassle sorting all these nuts and bolts out, so with the first wave of ladies with she-P's, I just want to get you all set up and happy as clams with your devices as we work out the best "kit" so to speak. We've already made rapid progress, with plugs, extensions and now QD's, and it's all thanks to your input :)

Okay, the latest run of pictures...

A small piece of tape for women experiencing issues with "suctioning" girl parts.

A nice trick for keeping your P-hose from being wrapped around your leg or stuffing it down in your boot when getting into your suit. small velcro strap available at office supply store or computer store.

The new "improved" setup...

I cut my pee valve hose about 10cm from the end. I did not feel like i needed extra piece for length, but if your pee-valve is placed lower then you can get a short piece of the Norprene tube, as it is just gas line hose, should be available at gas station, garage or boat/marine supply store.

FWIW, with regards to pee valve itself, both Heleen and I have found that "closer" (higher up on leg) is easier. When you find yourselves reaching around boobs, bellies, stage bottles, cameras, while scootering, etc... it gets harder to 'reach' your valve to open/close. As women we are not as worried about the hose/valve running into EXTRA parts (AKA the 'family jewels') and if you have put your valve in correctly (so that the tube arc's towards the outside of your leg, then up and around and down) then it is not pointing towards important parts anyway. That is part of the reason men like them further down the leg. Remember, this is for YOU, not them. They often times have ape arms... If you've ever gone rock climbing with boys, you know their reach is often a few inches 'longer' than ours.

Hang your arm down towards where you think you want it (sorta on the inside of your leg) and imagine grasping the valve (so with your grippy part of your hand in gloves, not just your fingers) Then if you are finding yourself right on a seam, put on your gear, go diving, and reach down, FEEL where you can reach comfortably and err in that direction. Mine is placed rather high and even in long days on the inflatables, bouncing, protecting camera in my lap, I have not noticed it at all.

New placement of Quick disconnect 4" of norprene tube, notice with the barbed fittings back in play, no need for the ugly pink tape :)

This works MUCH better... Super easy to hook up, and plastic parts away from girl parts and pubic bone.

I tuck my shirt in behind the tube (all the way down to the she-p) to keep irritation/abrasion from the hose or fittings to a minimum.

Attachments

• IMG_1757.jpg
    IMG_1757.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1761.jpg
    IMG_1761.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_1799.jpg
    IMG_1799.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1792.jpg
    IMG_1792.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1771.jpg
    IMG_1771.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 73
It seems 3 'refresh' sprays (4 uses without removing glue) is probably pushing the adhesive limits... I was trying to see how many times I could get before the cleaning (again, to clean, just kind of work free an area and then roll it off like rubber cement with the corner of a rag soaked in isopropyl alcohol - if it is taking you more than ~5 min you are doing something strange - not necessarily wrong, just ...strange) at the 4th reuse, there is too thick a layer and it gets kind of hard and weird, lets just say, having tape was a good thing Worked fine for the dive (~80 min of scootering) during and post dive peeing, but didn't stand up as well to hiking up the stairs carrying standard gavins... I could kind of 'feel' the adhesive give and was glad to have used tape for backup.

So, note to self.. (and my feareless readers) Stick to one repeat use without cleaning off the adhesive (to be safe) maybe 2 but for sure at 3, back up with tape.

Having the Quick disconnects 10cm from the sheep ROCKS!!!!!! It works SO well, and keeps all the hard parts away from girl parts, doesn't stick out of your pants but lets you 'whip it out' to pee on a tree nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom